Micro820 + Stepper Motor control

dcagle

I have a Micro820 with the high speed counter (2080-MOT-HSC) module attached, and I'm having trouble driving an AutomationDirect stepper motor (Surestep 34127D).

From my understanding of the stepper drive (Surestep 6575 Drive) I need to send a series of on/off pulse signals from a digital output, which I've been able to do but the pulse frequency isn't fast enough (results in choppy motion of the motor).

I was told by ADC Tech Support that I need to use the high speed counter on the 820 to be able to accurately count the number of pulses, but I'm unsure of how to increase the frequency of the relay output turning on/off. Is a high speed counter also able to output pulses as fast as it can register input pulses?

I'm very new to the PLC world so please feel free to explain anything like I'm a brand new engineer.

In order to control the stepper drive you will need a PTO (pulse train output)you cant use relay output.
For Micro820 only those models have a PTO
2080-LC20-20QBB
2080-LC20-20QBBR

Thanks for the reply.

Is there some kind of external PTO card I could use to interface with the 2080-LC20-20AWB? I really don't have the option to switch the PLC with a different model.