AB KT-1 Driver

jaden

A customer called me in for help on a machine with an AB SLC-500 PLC. The printout that he had showed the communications for Port 0 was set up for the KT-1 driver. I believe that used a special card in the laptop? Anyway, what are my options if I need to get connected to the processor?

The bottom connector (port 0) is the one I tried, and the one listed for KT_1 in the program printout. I used a USB to serial adapter that works on other SLC 500's. Could not link up.
Port 1 is connected to the HMI.
I do have the actual program on a USB jump drive.

Look at the bottom ports configuration. FYI - Not all USB to serial converts work in our business.
I use one from the company I linked above.
Also, I'm up in Omaha so it's nice to see other Cornhuskers here on the boards.
Post the file if you like...zip first.

The KT-1 driver is for DH+ communication. Either you need one of those modems (they are bloody expensive) or you can probably talk to it via port 1, which most likely is setup as DF1 RS232. Which means you can communicate with your USB to Serial. Converter and a null modem (this is assuming you have a good USB to Serial converter. If you do not try www.plccable.com. I use his cables with great success)

The 5/03 has a DH485 port and a serial port (port1) if you have a PIC that can be used. Usually the serial port is more useful. The port config in the program will tell you how it is setup.

You can only use it if it has been configured for DH485 or DF1 protocol. You also need to make sure you have the right error correction CRC/BCC at your end.