!761-net-eni

Okay, I missed something.

When I hook up to a net-eni module with RSLinx and browse it, what should I see? I find the module no problem, but I don't see the Micrologix 1500 on the other end of the serial port, and can't seem to communicate to it in any way. I have the net-eni set to the same baud rate as the Micro..

I'm attaching my config file below, if anyone can find a glaring ommission, let me know.

Thanks!

TM

I have done this many times with the 1500 and would like to help but I can't open your zip.

Bob

Edit. What software is in the confg zip? ENI Utilites or RSLinx

Thanks Bob

I just tested the link and it opened fine. Hmmm...

It's the net-eni configuration file I saved from the ENI setup utility.

Say Bob, do you know if RSLinx Lite in particular has trouble doing this? I'm about to try OEM edition.

Incidentally, I'll be posting an update to my Plantmetrics troubles a little later. An advance thanks for you help there :)

TM

The usual cause of not seeing anything but the ENI is that the ENI and the ML are not configured the same way.

Check to make sure that both the ENI and the Micro have the same DF1 settings:
Baud
Parity
Error Checking <-- usual mismatch is here

correct cable (null modem)

That file was likely made with the most recent version of the ENI/ENIW utility; it wouldn't open with my ENI Series B utility but it did with the most recent one.

I don't see anything obvious except the baud rate. I think the Net-ENI only negotiates the baud rate (which shows as set to AUTO) when it powers up. If you are connected at 38400 baud with the utility and just unplug and connect to a MicroLogix set for 19200 baud (without rebooting) I don't think the ENI will negotitate with the MicroLogix.

Thanks guys, got it now!

Thanks to all of you, I got the communications going now.

Turns out it was as simple as using the right version of RSLinx. Lite will see the NET-ENI and report communications, but it won't see "past" it to the controller. With OEM edition, it went right through.

I brought this question here in case there was some tidbit of esoterica floating around in my config file (I set the 232 back to auto, worked fine, thanks for the tip about rebooting it, Ken) and I was pleased to learn there wasn't any issue there.

Apart from some essential ignorance on my part, this critter was as easy to connect as advertised.

Thanks again!

TM

Tim,

I've found RSLinx to be a little "quirky" at times with the NET-ENI's. I found it was not version related, but simply a matter of toggling Autobrowse, or even stopping and restarting the RSLinx service. I use the Lite version all the time with NET-ENI's, and that's how I "worked" around it.

HTH,
Jeff

Thanks Jshiepe!

Interesting point. I thought I should be able to do this with Lite, but the example in the User Manual showed a more sophisticated IP driver setup screen than Lite was giving me. Perhaps it's time to upgrade my Lite?

TM