Fail over Ethernet communication via DNS

gartut

Good Afternoon engineers.

I have come to a logical brickwall. My application is multiple sites collecting data, the data is then sent to a SQL database via DSL or GSM. We are planning for hundreds of these units to be sent out.

I want to keep constant communications with the devices if the IP address ever changes on the Server, or the hardware changes/building move or we decide to cloud host in the future. What I do not want to be doing is changing the code of the device to the new IP address on each device.

The Device is a Phoenix Contact ILC 131 ETH and the programming function blocks will only accept "192.168.10.1" form of syntax, so that rules out Dynamic DNS. Can you think of any other way I can achive this?

Anyone that can put me in the right direction is :geek:

I think you might be digging yourself a big hole thinking that you will be able to connect the Phoenix device to any old network and have it just work. If you are expecting to communicate via someone else's network you will be told where to go by their IT department. Internet security is another headache and above my pay grade. But if you go for a GSM or DSL modem that you have installed then it should have the Dynamic DNS facility so it doesn't matter what the facilities in the Phoenix device are. I think I might go for one of the 'potted' solutions, such as e.w.o.n. that would allow for comms over VPN and give you remote access to the machine.

Hopefully someone with far more networking know how will jump in and offer help.

Thanks for the reply

I have sorted it. I had too google using the advance search to find a function block. But we will need to buy a license to use it.

So thanks for the response. Internet Security is my bag :D just the Phoenix Contact kits seems a bit odd in some respects.