ControlLogix - configuring a gateway address

OldPlcDude

Hello forum members!

It's been quite a while since I programmed and installed a PLC but did quite a bit in the late 90's. Back then it was RS Logix 500. I'm still involved with SCADA systems and in a situation to help a customer with a plc change. They have several ControlLogix, one of which I need to configure the gateway address on the 1756-EBNT.

I tried changing the gateway address from 0.0.0.0 to a real one using RSLinx but I received a communication error (0x009 I think). So, I tried changing it directly in the PLC itself but I get another error, "CIP error in communications request". Apparently, this can only be changed while online but the procedure eludes me.

Btw, BOOTP is not enabled. Does anyone know how to make this change? Thanks in advance.

So you really want to do this from RSLinx.

I suspect you might be getting an error due to a problem with the addressing.

Can you post the IP, subnet, and gateway? Assuming they are not public IP addresses.

OG

So you really want to do this from RSLinx.

I suspect you might be getting an error due to a problem with the addressing.

Can you post the IP, subnet, and gateway? Assuming they are not public IP addresses.

OG

No problem, the IPs are private.

I want to change it to 10.224.4.1

I've always done it from RSLinx w/o issue. Over Ethernet/usb/backplane. If I use bootp I do it to set the initial address, then go right to RSlinx and configure it for static and disable bootp from there.

The only time I've gotten an odd ball issue is when I tried to change the IP address when the card was configured via the rotary dials :sick:. Given the IP address you have already listed, I'm assuming the card isn't set to a 192.168.1.x address via dials.

With that said, have you just reset the card to default settings and started from scratch?

Thanks Pauly's5.0, i appreciate the info. I'm not sure if a usb connection is available since I'm remoting into the pc but could find out easily enough. The location is a few hundred miles from me but there are people that could check this. That probably explains whey i get the error message - attempting to change it over the ethernet connection.

Last edited:
I've always done it from RSLinx w/o issue. Over Ethernet/usb/backplane. If I use bootp I do it to set the initial address, then go right to RSlinx and configure it for static and disable bootp from there.

The only time I've gotten an odd ball issue is when I tried to change the IP address when the card was configured via the rotary dials :sick:. Given the IP address you have already listed, I'm assuming the card isn't set to a 192.168.1.x address via dials.
+1

In my experience, the module will let you change the IP address while online with it, but as soon as it accepts the change you will lose your communications with it, as your comms. path has changed. Is the module you are trying to change the gateway on configured for manual IP configuration or does it receive it's settings via DHCP? Maybe that setting makes all the difference...? I do believe you will have to download the updated project for the new settings to take effect. Using RSLinx is the way to go.

Mod_Prop.jpg

Last edited:
+1

In my experience, the module will let you change the IP address while online with it, but as soon as it accepts the change you will lose your communications with it, as your comms. path has changed. Is the module you are trying to change the gateway on configured for manual IP configuration or does it receive it's settings via DHCP? Maybe that setting makes all the difference...? I do believe you will have to download the updated project for the new settings to take effect. Using RSLinx is the way to go.

When I make the change and hit Apply I immediately get a communication error but I don't think it's from losing comm. It returns this error

An unexpected communications error has occurred. General status is 0x0009

If I go out and go back in it still shows the 0.0.0.0 gateway.

1756-ENBT.jpg

Are the ENBT's properties being changed programmatically?

You can determine this by checking for a MESSAGE object configured as:
Type: CIP Generic
Service: Set Attribute Single
Service Code: 10
Instance: 1
Class: F5
Attribute 5

Last edited:
Are the ENBT's properties being changed programmatically?

You can determine this by checking for a MESSAGE object configured as:
Type: CIP Generic
Service: Set Attribute Single
Service Code: 10
Instance: 1
Class: F5
Attribute 5

That's a good idea, I didn't think of that.

I'm certainly no wiz at the comms. stuff - that's what we have Ken Roach for. He's the go-to guy for the in-depth understanding of how the ethernet universe works. The only thing that I see that you could also try is to check the box for Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex. Do let us know if you figure out what the problem was!

That's a good idea, I didn't think of that.

I'm certainly no wiz at the comms. stuff - that's what we have Ken Roach for. He's the go-to guy for the in-depth understanding of how the ethernet universe works. The only thing that I see that you could also try is to check the box for Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex. Do let us know if you figure out what the problem was!

At this point someone else may be looking at it because it's been determined that it must be changed onsite. I'm not able to travel down there. If I'm able to find out what is done I'll post back what the solution was.