S7-300 i-slave profibus comms without DP master config.

DLMUK

Hi,

Has anybody setup a system as follows before, Siemens are telling me it should be fine. But I cannot get comms.

S7-314C 2PN/DP - Configured as i-Slave address 111
Transfer areas 100 - 194 in use.
Profibus connector is in slot 2

3rd party device - has GSD file of S7-314 loaded in
it appears to connect to the S7-314 as address 111
shows 28 available slots
third party software vendor is mapping their system to slots 1, 2, 3, 4 etc
All values appear on vendor display as zeros even though they aren't.

On my TIA Portal "Network" view there is no DP Master configured, it is left as an "unassigned" connection. Siemens have confirmed this should be fine.

Has anybody managed to get comms before in this way without a master configured in TIA portal?

Thanks,

When the master is connected to the 314C-2PN/DP, is the 314C-PN/DP free of SF or BF ?
If there is no SF or BF, then the master must be connected.

Dont understand what you mean by "transfer area 100 - 194."
When setting up a DP port as DP slave, and configuring the I/O to be transferred, you can assign chunks of max 32 Bytes.
Try to post screenshots from the port configuration in TIA.

Since we dont know which 3rd party device you are dealing with it gets difficult to help.
If it was a Siemens S7 that was the master, then I can tell you that after importing the GSD file, a matching device can be seen connected to the master CPU, with I/O area mirroring what is setup in the slave CPU (slave I/O becomes master O/I).

As a test, you can try to hook up the slave CPU to another S7 as master, if you can find one that is available for testing.
With that you can confirm that the setup on your side is OK.

The third party vendor has proprietary hardware.

They have established connection to an s7-400 which has a profinet output via a profinet/profibus convertor so I think the hardware should be OK.

The transfer areas are in my PLC settings as shown in TIA portal. They are configured in one big block all as outputs (Q).

I'll try and post some screen shots later on.

I have no SF or BF lights on the PLC when connecting to the third party hardware. I tried setting up an S7-1200 as a profibus master but this caused the SF and BF lights to come on.

If you have no BF / SF LED on the 314 processor, then a connection has been made. The problem is a programming issue.
How is the communication configured at the other device?