InTouch Development Primer?

Lakee911

Hello,

I have a client running straight-up InTouch (not sure of the version), and I need to do some development on their system. I have only used Wonderware ArchestrA System Platform, and it was many years ago, and I know nothing about InTouch development.

Can someone point me to a primer, how-to, YouTube video, etc. that can get me pointed in the right direction on how to begin?

I'm sure I can handle the graphics, but I'll need to add a couple of tags (which I'm assuming I'll have to "add" in a couple/few places) and I need to know how "deployment" is accomplished from the development machine.

Thank you,
Jason

One of my favorite aspects of Intouch is that deployment is simple - just copy your application folder over to the new machine and install Wonderware Intouch Runtime, point it to the folder and you're done (barring certain quirks like different Intouch versions or resolution issues).

Tags are added from the "Tagname Dictionary" and are pretty straightforward. IIRC Intouch has fantastic help and reference documentation built in.

just copy your application folder over to the new machine and install Wonderware Intouch Runtime, point it to the folder and you're done (barring certain quirks like different Intouch versions or resolution issues).

Only of you don't use the new fancy pancy "modern app" type of InTouch project. Then this is not possible any more.

I've just upgraded an InTouch project from 9 to 2014 R2. If you want to use some of the new symbols, then you have to convert your project to a "modern app". I've tested this, and at first it seems that there are not disadvantages. Done a little work further, then I wanted to copy the project to the customers PC and, whoops, this is no more possible any more. You have to create a package, and then import the package on the customers PC.

As you can't convert your project directly back to a classic project, I've converted the old project again, and imported only the windows from my new work, so I have now an old style project where you can simply copy your project.

You can publish the manager app to a directory of your choice, then point the runtime PC to that location to make it function like traditional NAD

There is a lot of You Tube videos under "Wonderware Intouch".

It is a very easy development environment to work in.

You can just make a copy of the application directory to go back to as a backup.

Note: do not make the copy if Wonderware is running in development mode.

Hopefully.... his Intouch version is 7.1 or later.

Last edited:
Note: do not make the copy if Wonderware is running in development mode.

Hopefully.... his Intouch version is 7.1 or later.

There are too many files that are open when you are in Intouch "Development Mode". You will get a corrupted copy.
I have never had an issue with copying the application when it is in "Runtime Mode"...as long as there is nothing being written to sub-folders that are used in the application (like history files).

I have had a hit and miss on converting pre 7.11 Intouch applications to 8.0 thru 11.0.
Intouch had a big "core" advancement change in version 7.11.
Intouch 7.11 is also when Intouch started using SQL for handling alarm/event files.
Wonderware even recommends first converting the application to 7.11 and then after.
There are also some Intouch utilities and scripts that were available for pre 7.11 Intouch apps that cannot convert to later versions.

So make a backup copy before you start....
Now.. if you have a "Development license" for any later version of Intouch it may well open up the existing application in development mode... if you selected "Runtime and Development to be installed" during installation.