Allen Bradley 1769-L24ER SD flash card to load

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So trying to save a little time... using the SD compact flash card on a 1769-L24ER-QB1B to several CPU's they all have the same program, can I use the SD flash to load the firmware and program? could I use a USB to SD adapter and transfer the data from a PC to the SD then just power up the L24ER with the SD installed?

Also... anyone flash the CPU's with a VM or is it to risky and use the native PC

I think you want to load your common program into all of of you L24's via SD card right? We do this with our L30ER controllers, though the program that gets loaded is one that just assigns the IP address to the Ethernet Module.

We load one controller with a program, then store it to the SD card with the option set to load on power up, and update the firmware. Then you just plug it into a controller and power it up. Just be sure to wait until it's completely finished before removing the SD card.

If your question was more of can you do setup the SD card without the PLC, I don't think you can, you need it stored in the controller,then using Logix, store the program to the SD card.

I flash CPU's all the time from my VM, over Ethernet only. I wouldn't try to do it via USB. If/when the controller reboots during the flash, the USB will disconnect from the VM, seems like that would be bad! Maybe it wouldn't matter if the firmware was fully transferred to the controller but I don't have the guts to find out.

Thank you

So I did flash with the VM and yes... I used the USB (before I saw your reply) I did not think about the disconnect and it did but only after the flash was complete so I got lucky :oops: just had to reconnect after the flash was over

Yes I load a program and test every trainer we build just to test everything and its a pain to load the firmware and program so just looking to use the flash card

How do I load the card and what happens to the next power cycle when I install the blank card... assuming nothing as it will read the card first and if nothing is on the card then it will load from the CPU memory not the card

I think I need to find the manual and start reading.... thanks for the help!!

I do CPU firmware flashing over USB with VM,s all of the time. No issues yet. I do three to four a month this way.

If your VM USB settings were such that it would automatically reconnect that device to the VM, then you'd have no problems. If your default was to attach to the host (or to ask what to do), and you weren't quick enough switching it back to the VM, that's when you'd have the issue