RSLogix5000 starts faster

Looking for some explanation...

received this instruction (see attached) from a colleague regarding how slow our laptops were at opening RSLogix5000 especially, this is his fix...

so untick the 3 boxes on Internet Explorer and programs do start faster..

Thoughts?
Explanations?
Downsides?

The laptops do not go online to the internet, except when doing the occasional windows update - which does not happen often...

logix.jpg

Rockwell charges 10's of thousands of dollars to build buggy pseudo-operating systems, and bases most of their code on mis-understood imports from existing Microsoft software.

They have inexplicably tied the entire FactoryTalk product line into IE, but again, the Rockwell Software hackers don't really understand what they are doing, so Windows probably thinks that the software is actually a web-site (which some of it kind of is), and is looking for authority signed security certificates, which don't exist. It should crash and burn, but since Rockwell's **** isn't running under the actual IE sandbox, eventually it just launches.

Thoughts?
Explanations?
Downsides?

Ask your colleague to produce a technote from AB that references this as a "fix", I'd be interested to see it. The only time I've had to mess with IE settings was dealing with Factory Talk View SE, not ever w/RSLogix5000.

just wondering ...

regarding the systems that DO see an improvement - versus the systems that DON'T ...

has FactoryTalk View Studio also been installed on the computer? ...

I've never actually timed it, but it seems that EVERYTHING takes longer once that stuff has been installed ...even if you reboot the computer - and don't even start up FactoryTalk View Studio, the computer just seems "boggy" ...

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I have seen that RSLogix5 and 5000, and it looks like 500 opens quicker too...

View Studio is not one I open very often, but it did seem quicker when I tried opening a file...

Paully's5.0 - It's technote 114274

If you are connected to a network and do not have internet access it will slow down with those boxes checked. I was at 2 and half minutes to load RSLogix 5000 v20 until I unchecked those top two mentioned. Now it is at 10 seconds load time. I never unchecked "Check for signatures on downloaded programs"

I think the potential security risk would be if someone hacked into a website with a security certificate, and they revoke that certificate, your computer would not notify you about it if you went to that website. My development computers are not on the internet except for a rare update to windows so the risk is probably minimal.

As controls/automation people we should have some knowledge of cybersecurity. No one at all should be using IE unless forced by employer. It's basically the biggest security hole there is for Windows. Use Chrome or Firefox.

No change here. I tried various combinations of being on a network with and without internet, or not being on a network at all. Made no difference. I do have FT installed.

I just did a quick test and the load time for Studio 5000 went from ~31 seconds to ~15 seconds for me. Nice.

edit: FactoryTalk is installed.

Last edited:
I have v13-v29 of RSLogix/Logix Deisgner, RSlogix 500, RSLogix 5, FTView 8.2, and a handful of others on one VM. Opening a large v23 project in studio 5000 went from approx 20 seconds to approx 15 seconds, so that's a 25% improvement for me!

Disappointingly it didn't work for me, in fact it made 5000 and FTView slower:

PROGRAM BEFORE AFTER
Logix-5 10sec 10sec
Logix-500 12sec 12sec
Logix-5000 V20.01 52sec 1:28
Logix-5000 V21.00 46sec 1:20
FTView 8.10 3:53 4:10

Oh well just have to have the patients I guess.
But I drive a GTO, I have no patients!!