Prosoft ILX800-SMSG Module Obsolete

CCasalie

I have recently found out that the Prosoft ILX800-SMSG texting module for the AB Micro 800 series is going to essentially be obsolete due to AT&T sunsetting their 2G service come Jan 1, 2017.

I have a customer with a system I installed 2 years ago that I now have to explain this to.

Anyone know of a way to either keep this system running (i.e. another carrier) or of another workaround?

email may be more manageable than text messages if the micro800 supports email. most carriers support text via email.

[email protected] att
[email protected] verizon

you can also look at the red lion datastation, I believe it supported this functionality.

Also, t mobile has decided to keep its 2g service online until 2020, so that may buy you a few years if they have a tower in your area.

Another option is a 3rd party that can poll the device remotely and provide email, sms, or voice notifications. let me know if this is an option you would like to know more about.

I had heard about T-Mobile, but this module is VERY finicky about carriers and the support was never great from Pro Soft when it was an actively marketed product. They did not have an official list of carrier's that this module would work with. They basically said to try out different carrier's until I found one that would work.

This module supports SMS only. I actually needed to use a Google Voice account to translate the SMS message it sends out into an email.

My thought is to eliminate that module completely. use email if the micro supports it or some other device, like a datastation, that can do email for you.

Your best bet may be to buy a modem and then let a 3rd part do the notification. You would pay the data usage and the service fee per month but would gain an interface and also the ability to make changes to the alerting.