Controllogix from simulation to practice

Kairivers

Hi guys,
I'm a student. I used to work with slc500 plcs, and now I did my first program on RSLogix 5000 along with an HMI on RSView32. I simulated everything on RSEmulate 5000 but I don't know how would I proceed so my program can work on a real controllogix plc. I just know that I need to change the controller. But what about the modules? Will the generic ones work or I will have to change them and re-add the controller tags?
I'd be grateful if you could help me with some tutorial or anything.

if you'll post the ENTIRE ControlLogix project file (.ACD extension) then we can offer you more detailed help ...

as for the actual modules, depending on the version of RSLogix/Studio 5000 you're using, you might have to go to the individual modules where they're shown in RSLinx - then Right-Click and examine their "properties" to see what catalog number, and revision to enter for each one ...

also ... what catalog number of processor will you be using? ... and what firmware revision? ...

TIP: the "DETAILS" make a BIG/HUGE difference in how successful you'll be with this project ... the more you tell us about your setup - the better the advice will be ...

good luck with it ... and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
Thanks for you response.
I don't have any specific controllogix plc. I just need a general idea on what to do. Or it can be any plc so I learn on how to move from simulation to real plc.
About the modules, Am I going to have to change the generic modules? If yes, will I have to add again the controller tags ?
Also I'm using an RSLogix 5000 v20.
Here is my program https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B94xWIOFgc0DWTZaS0NKWkEwYjA/view?usp=sharing .Hope it helps but tags are in french.

You will have to delete the Generic modules, and replace them in the IO config with the real version (for example a 1754-IB16). You should match the firmware version with the version in the real card. Personally I usually end up "disable keying" because it causes me so much grief, but the proper way is to leave it enabled.

One issue is the tag structure of the generic simulator card is different than the real card.

For example your emulator cards use structure like "Local:3:I.Data[1].0"
A real 1756-IB16 will use "Local:3:I.Data.0"

Two potential solutions:
-Manually go through and change all the IO references
-Create internal working bits such as a Bool "I_Arret_Urgence"
Replace all references in your code of Local:3:I.Data[1].0 to "I_Arret_Urgence"

Now you can either:
-In program / Controller tags, for I_Arret_Urgence, set it as an alias for Local:3:I.Data[1].0
-Create a ladder to handle mirroring the IO: eg: XIC Local:3:I.Data[1].0 OTE I_Arret_Urgence

By having these working bits, it's easier to move your IO to a different data structure (going from emulate to real), or if you had to move the IO around (to a different slot, to a remote rack), because you only need to change one reference for each IO point. As your project gets bigger this is a bit more apparent.

@Ravioli I see now how it's done thanks to your reply.
Also thanks for the tip. It does save some pain.