DH485 (or Devicenet) to Ethernet?

asteroide

Hello Friends

I need to communicate a 5/04 with a Micrologix 1400 to send and receive some bits and integers, also I need to connect ML1400 to MatrikonOPC.

In the 5/04 the Channel 1 with DH+ is free.

The Channel 0 with DH485 is connected to a Panelview just with DH485 port.

The 5/04 also has a 1747-SDN devicenet Scanner. I had thought in a 1761-NET-DNI but this module has been discontinued.

Also I had though in a 1761-NET-ENI, but this module does not support DH485, just DF1, and this module will be discontinued.

Change to 5/05 CPU is to expensive.

Is there a DH485 to Ethernet Interface?

Or another way to connect the 5/04 to ML1400?

Thanks in advance. :)

MicroLogix 1400 Protocol Support:

Channel 0:
Series A: DF1 Full Duplex, DF1 Half Duplex Master or Slave, DH-485, Modbus RTU Master or Slave, ASCII Read/Write, DF1 Radio Modem, DNP3
Series B: Same as Series A
Channel 1:
Series A: Ethernet/IP (Messaging/Explicit,) BOOTP Client, DHCP Client, SNMP Server and Client, HTTP Server, duplicate IP address detection
Series B: Ethernet/IP (Messaging/Explicit,) BOOTP Client, DHCP Client, SNMP Server and Client, HTTP Server, duplicate IP address detection, Modbus TCP, DNP3 over IP.
Channel 2:
Series A: DF1 Full Duplex, DF1 Half Duplex Master or Slave, DH-485, Modbus RTU Master or Slave, ASCII Read/Write, DF1 Radio Modem, DNP3
Series B: Same as Series A

What's the panelview reference?
If it can support DH+ you can switch to CH1 and use CH0 to communicate DF1with ML1400.
Also if your panelview support DF1 you can use CH2 of M1400

Hi asteroide,

Please note that I am by no means an expert in RockWell equipment...
Still, I would suggest an Anybus X-gateway, that will act as DeviceNet adapter on one side and Modbus TCP slave on the other, such as:http://www.anybus.com/support/support.asp?PID=245&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

My understanding is that the ML1400 supports Modbus TCP nativly.
Also, included with the gateway you will get the Anybus OPC server... :)

My 2 cents

Patrick L

Hello

The Panelview is a 2711-B5A5, this has just 1 port : DH485.

SO, I need a port splitter (1747-DPS2) to connect the panelview and a interface DH485 to Ethernet.
Maybe Lantronix UDS1100 could be used? Supports RS232, RS422 and RS485 communications. The port in the 5/04 is DH485, RS485 is the same or not? :S

Also I looking for a Devicenet to ML1400 (1761-NET-DNI has been discontinued).

From Anybus I think this Devicenet Gateway could be useful: RS232, RS422, RS485

http://www.anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=105&ProductType=Anybus Communicator

Thanks for your help:)

Last edited:
DH485 and RS485 are not the same and using a port splitter on the DF1 port will only work if the DF1 port is set to DF1 Half Duplex master. Because it (the DF1 port) is connected to a PanelView it is more than likely setup as a DF1 Full duplex port. You could change that but it’s going to involve re-configuring the both the SLC and the PV. You could use a DeviceNet to EtherNet/IP bridge but it’s going to get complicated and cumbersome. I’d explore replacing the SLC5/04 with a SLC5/05. That would give you an Ethernet port and a lot more flexibility with regards to accessing the SLC. With the SLC5/04 in order to get online with it you have to disable one of the functions (I.E. take the DH485 connection off line or the DF1 connection off line). With Ethernet you don’t have to break the connection to access it.

Hi asteroide,

Sure, the Anybus Communicator for DeviceNet should also work. Do note that it can only act as Modbus RTU master and thus the ML1400 has to be set up as Modbus RTU slave.

BR

Patrick Lansdorf