pumping water control panel

tmitim

helo... hope someone genius can help me. i am a mechanical engineer, but never in charge in this PLC. mu boss ask me to do this;pls give me idea:

one control panel, need to connect to notebook computer which can program it to pump out the water from a tank. there are a water transfer pump(3.5hp), 2" dia hos, electromagnetic flowmeter, stop valve(solenoid-based), that's all. how to program it to make this way;
water can be pump out every particular volume, V and on the spot, stop the solenoid valve whereby stopping the water from keep flowing!

pls help me ASAP ;)

I'm guessing you did a
find.gif
for tmitim's previous posts, eh?... :D

beerchug

-Eric

lolis

I've never seen anything so funny in my life. I had to look at them all. Now I'm sure I'll get in trouble for surfing bad web sites when they pull my report at the end of the month. šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:
i woul say, go and hire someone with knowledge in control sistems, scada and plc programming..
let me know, maybe if the offer is good, i'll se you soon.

Well Mr tmitim

With my all respect, I can say that you cannot do such a thing all by your self.

As long as you are a mechanical engineer and donot know how to deal with PLCs, So we are not talking here about the a simple subject in the field of "Electrical engineering"

Instrumentation + PLCs + SCADA/HMI (or let us say System integration ) is a high level subject that needs a one that is speciallized in these ussues.

So (again with my all respect) as roc364 sayed : you must hire some body for this.

Best regards.

ayman metwally said:
With my all respect, I can say that you cannot do such a thing all by your self.

As long as you are a mechanical engineer and donot know how to deal with PLCs,

Instrumentation + PLCs + SCADA/HMI (or let us say System integration ) is a high level subject that needs a one that is speciallized in these ussues.

I'm going to have to disagree a little with this. When I started in automation twenty odd years ago I was also a mechanical engineer. I came to the conclusion that it was easier for me to learn instrumentation and programming than it was for the electrical / programming types to learn the process and equipment. I taught myself as I went along, and I still think that I made the right decision.

Having said that, I will agree that learining instrumentation and PLCs is a difficult task, and if tmitim has a tight schedule going for outside help is a smart move.

Tom Jenkins said:

I'm going to have to disagree a little with this. When I started in automation twenty odd years ago I was also a mechanical engineer. I came to the conclusion that it was easier for me to learn instrumentation and programming than it was for the electrical / programming types to learn the process and equipment. I taught myself as I went along, and I still think that I made the right decision.

Having said that, I will agree that learining instrumentation and PLCs is a difficult task, and if tmitim has a tight schedule going for outside help is a smart move.

You know what Tom !!
I knew before you replied that you will reply and desagree with my post!! (Believe or not)
That is because i know that you are a mechanical engineer, So when i posted my reply to tmitim i said that he will not be able to carry out this project because of two things ( one of them is that he donot know about PLCs)

So i didnot say that he cannot learn these things ( Instrumentation, PLCs and SCADA)

but i said that he cannot do this project for the mean time.

And you Tom, I think that you are better than many speciallized electrical engineers. Me my self benfit from your replies too much.

And by the way: this is the seconed time in this forum i hear that mechanical engineers can learn PLCs and instrumentation better than electrical ones.
I thought that the opposite position is the normal position.
So i will put this in mind as long as i am - sometimes- a trainer (for SCADA and data acquisition) and will not restrict to electrical engineers.

Last edited:
Guys, I wasn't trying to mean.. ok maybe I was. Do a search on the OP and you see that he asked for a traffic light PLC program a while back, which leads some of us to suspect that he is really a student looking for help. This subject (on helping student) has already been covered extensively in other threads and the consensus is that it's better off for them to try to do the project by themselve.

Another clue is the way the question was asked. The OP writes English quite well so that not the problem but it sounds awful like a assignment rather than a real world situation. In any case, the question is too broad for any of to answer.

Having said that, let me give it a quick try:

1 RESET FLOWMETER
OPEN VALVE
STARTS PUMP
IF TOTAL >= ##### THEN
CLOSE VALVE
STOP PUMP
END IF
GOTO 1

If all mechanicals had Tom's expertise, what a wonderful world this would be.

If all electricals had Tom's expertise, even better.

However, back to the thread and the issue at hand...

In case this is a actual non-student thread, put a micro plc in panel, if you have to use a laptop, be sure you have on-line capabiliites with the plc and programming software. that would over complicate it though.

You need, an on/off switch, in series with flow meter, in series with valve. No need for plc or note book.

However, if you want different volumes, you will be a VFD. (Not Volunteer Fire Dept).

Best best, search posts for Flux Capacitor, they should be closely related.

For a control panel plc, I would recommend a unitary, possibly a DeSoto. I don't believe that the Packard 8 or Edsel are available for export.

regards.....casey

Last edited: