variable flow/metering/plc controlled all-in-one valve

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good afternoon to all ( good morning and good evening if your on the other side)

New project using two sets of rinsing overflow tanks (water enters tank seven and overflows to tank six)

Looking for the holy grail of valves, need it to measure the water coming in as GPM, send out a signal (prefer 4-20 will use 0-10) to indicate flow as a value then signal back to the valve to open/close accordingly.

Does such a thing exist????

If so where would one find such an elusive creature..

Thanks for your time.

I would look at the Rosemount 8700 Mag Meter for the water flow measurement.
Can you give more info on the PLC or controller you plan to use?

This is the one I found while looking into the MircoMotion

https://www.instrumart.com/products...-liquid-flow-meters-and-controllers#!overview

Took a lot of looking to find it. It was hiding at intrumart. Reasonably priced and reads flow and controls flow all in one unit with a 4-20 out and a 4-20 in.

Bullzi, the line is going to be controlled with the Siemens S7-300. Still playing with my shiny new Portal

Thank you for your time in this matter.

John,

The meter in that link is tiny - 10 litres per minute. I'm guessing you're working with something bigger than that!

I have not seen anything like this myself for bulk or process water. I think Mainly because you want to keep your flow metering several pipe diameters away from your control valve to avoid turbulent flow.

It is not hard to do with a PLC though - stand alone mag meter 4-20mA to PLC, PLC controls valve via positioner mounted on top of valve, or if you don't need super accuracy then a normal open / close motorized valve that you can pulse open / close works too.