Macro has too many parameters

monkey082506

Hi all! I've came across this issue a couple times and have yet to find anything about it via AB Knowledgebase or on here. That being said I have fixed my issue and I am going to post the solution.

Back story, a co-worker and I converted a RSView32 project to FactoryTalk View S.E. 8.10. When we tried to run our macro an error would stop us and say "Macro has too many parameters". The macro does have a lot of parameters and it calls two other macros while running. However, I didn't think RSView32 could handle more parameters than FactoryTalk. What ended up being the issue is I had a "#" in the comments. I deleted it, ran the macro and it worked. Odd, but it's Rockwell so I digress.

Four weeks later we were in charge of doing the same upgrade for another branch of the customer. This time it was for three PCs. The first two PCs that are talking to a SLC-5/04 over DH+ worked just fine. The third PC that talks Ethernet to a ControlLogix (Version 16) gave me a "too many parameters" error. I tripled checked my macros, they were the exact same on all three PCs and no "#" anywhere in my comments. Finally, after a couple hours I deleted the comments all together...it worked!

I don't understand what the reasoning behind this "too many parameters" error is or why a comment would mess it up. Has anyone else been hit with this before or have any insight on the error?

If you copy/paste the macro text from the "imported" project into a newly created macro file, does that fix the issue?

Maybe, the macro file has extra data/characters in it from the RSView32 import (carriage returns, line feeds, ?).
It's a total guess and only worth your time figuring it out if you will be doing a lot more of those imports.

In general for any project import/upgrade with FTView Studio, I would recreate every file.
Ex. Export displays to XML, then import into new project.
Copy/paste all text from parameter files and macros into new ones in the new project.
etc.

It might be overkill, but with imports sometimes there is data in the file that was not converted or removed properly. Export and Importing through text files can clean that up.

Ok just wondering I know they where doing a bunch of 32 to SE conversions.
Where you out of in Ky