Structured Text in ControlLogix5000

endangs

Dear All,
I have a question what is the different structured text programming in RSLogix5 and Structured Text in RSlogix5000? I mean in RSLogix5 found has the STI Set point (S:30) in milliseconds, how about in RSLogix5000, what is the STI Set point ? how to define the STI Set Point in RSLogix5000 or ControlLogix5000 ?

Regards,
Endang S.

Welcome to the Forum !

The Structured Text and Sequential Function Chart languages in the PLC-5 were far less popular than Relay Ladder Logic Diagrams. I was a PLC-5 expert for many years and never touched the Structured Text editor. You can certainly find some instruction and syntax in the RSLogix 5 online help, and if you installed the default sample programs there's one with both Structured Text and SFC routines.

Your other question illustrates one of the important differences between the PLC-5 and the ControlLogix operating systems.

In general, the PLC-5 ran its ladder routines as Main Control Programs, each of which could call many subroutines. Most users just used one Main Control Program, but you could define multiple programs to run in sequence.

And the PLC-5 could have interrupts, one of which was the Selectable Timed Interrupt (STI), whose interval you noted is configured in the Status file.

In the ControlLogix, the equivalent of an STI is the Periodic Task, which can itself contain multiple Programs which contain multiple Routines. You can have numerous Periodic Tasks in a single controller project. The execution interval you configure for the Periodic Task fulfills the same role as the time setpoint for an STI in a PLC-5.

since you specifically asked about "differences" between RSLogix5 and RSLogix5000 ... you'll probably be interested in post #20 (AND the next post #21 too) in the following thread - on how the two platforms handle RETENTIVE instructions ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=529278&postcount=20

post #28 puts an even finer point on the concepts involved ...

or were you only interested in the "STI" ideas? ...

and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited: