SLC 500 newbie question

missoulian

This is my first post. I have been working in the HVACR field for ten years but am pretty new to PLC's. I work 'in-house' at a factory now as a heating cooling tech and we have a few PLC's. Among our industrial equipment are two large water heating systems that employ the SLC 500 1747-L40 PLC. These PLC's control the valves, pumps, timing, etc of the water heating components. I need to access
these PLC's to verify the sequences, lockouts, etc the equipment runs through.

I have read through dozens of posts on this site and have tried downloading the RS Linx free software and have ordered a 1747-UIC cable. Right now I am
unable to launch the RS linx software from my computer. I installed it but cannot find the listing of the software in my apps (windows 8). I assume I will figure this out soon.

My question is this: Is the 1747-UIC cable the proper cable? I want to make sure so I do not damage the PLC as I would have a lot of explaining to do. Also, am I correct with the choice of software? From what I understand so far the RS linx software is the correct software to view the logic in the PLC?

Any input is much appreciated.

RSLinx is software used to connect to Allen Bradley PLC’s and you can’t program (or view programs) with it. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to get programming software for an old SLC500. RSLogix 500 is what is used for SLC5/01’s (1747-L511) and higher but I don’t think it will work for SLC500’s (1747-L40). Someone else will need to chime in on that.
You’re also going to find it very hard to find support for it. It may be time to consider replacing the current PLC with something like a MicroLogix 1100. They are fairly inexpensive and do have a freeware version of RSLogix (RSLogix Micro Starter Lite). At this point I’d give your local AB distributor a call and find out what your options are.

No. RSLinx is the communication software that lets you connect to the SLC from your PC. To view or modify logic, you need RSLogix 500. It isn't free.

Last edited:
If you contact you AB distributor you can still buy the RSLogix500 software, but it will set you back about $3500.00