ProSoft Gateway vs In-Chassis module

jordis

Hi,
I'm trying to connect to a S7-300 PLC with a CP343-1 Lean processor form a ControLogix using a Prosoft module and/or gateway ( Ethernet/IP to Siemens IE)

What's woul be the difference the in chassis MVI56E module and the PLC31E gateway ?

The in-chassis unit may be slightly faster since its second "protocol" is the backplane, where the gateway's second protocol is EtherNet/IP.

Other than that, it's the typical pros/cons of in-chassis vs gateway. Things like:
In-chassis is integrated into the Logix backplane (pro for in-chassis)
Gateways doesn't require a backplane slot (pro for gateway)
In-chassis is a bit easier to configure
Gateway costs less
list goes on..

CH

Another advantage of the standalone gateway is that it's expandable. If next month you have another rockwell PLC you want to get talking to the Siemens PLC, you can use the same gateway. If you used an in-chassis solution, you'd either have to buy another card, or send the data via the other PLC first - which isn't ideal, as then you're relying on a not-necessarily-relevant PLC to handle your comms.

So, if there's any chance you may have more AB PLC's that need to talk to this Siemens PLC, I'd go for the gateway. If everything else on site is Siemens, and you just have this one oddball AB PLC, then maybe the in-chassis card would be the neatest and tidiest solution.

Check out these guys they might have what you are looking for from a gateway perspective.

http://www.rtaautomation.com/

The gateways I have used from there have been reasonably well priced, easy to setup and have been rock solid so far. My longest running one has been going for a few years now.

We have had excellent luck with real time automation products. We have ~10 modules in the field and have not had any failures.
Their customer service is great too. We had some off brand usb RFID readers and they wrote a custom firmware for it for free. We just shipped them the devices and they came back working.

I've used anybus as well, I just do not have as much experience with them.