so how do you pronounce "WLag" and sound reasonably intelligent?

Ron Beaufort

Lifetime Supporting Member
I finally have to work through an RSLogix5000 project that really makes use of the LPF (Low-Pass Filter) instruction in Function Block Diagrams ...

I've already developed all of the material that I need except for one thing ... I've Googled - and I've searched – and I still can't find out how to correctly pronounce the names of the WLag setting – or the WLead setting that's used in the HPF (High-Pass Filter) instruction ...

I'm 99.99% sure that the English "W" character is being used to represent the lower-case character for "omega" in Greek ...

so here are my best guesses so far:

(A) WLag should be pronounced Omega-Lag ... and

(B) WLead should be pronounced Omega-Lead ...

or on the other hand - maybe ...

(C) WLag should be pronounced Lag Frequency ... and

(D) WLead should be pronounced Lead Frequency ...

or maybe something else ???

I'm open to suggestions ...

low_pass_filter_notes.PNG

Last edited:
and some "fun with filters" squiggly lines to help make the point ...

the RED trace is a sine-wave signal being fed to an analog output module ... this is wired directly into an analog input module ...

the YELLOW trace is what the analog input module is reporting ...

during the first couple of cycles, there is no "noise" signal being applied to the output ...

then when the "noise" is suddenly added onto the output signal, the "filtered" input signal represented by the GREEN trace shows the result ...

changing the value of the "WLag" setting (regardless of how you pronounce it) - demonstrates how the Low-Pass Filter can remove the higher frequency "noise" signal - and let the lower frequency sine wave pass on through ...

in the last section, too much filtering has been used - and the filter is now attenuating the sine-wave signal as well as the "noise" ...

low_pass_filter.jpg

Last edited:
and more fun with filters ... this one illustrates a "High-Pass Filter" demonstration ...

this one filters out the lower frequency sine-wave - and lets the higher frequency "noise" signal pass through ...

high_pass_filter_2.jpg

Last edited:
oops! ...

thanks, Keith - you were right ... it's getting too late for this type of fun - and I've made too many cuts and pastes ... I've fixed it now ...

thanks for the catch ...

Last edited: