Flying Knife Help

jared_kelso

The PLC is a A&B L71 the servo drives are Kinetix 5500. The machine is two presses and a roll form machine. One press is before the roll form the other is after it. The die in each press is attached to a linear actuator (LDAT-S073010-DDS). The roll form machine is acting as the Master Axis. I am using a MAW Command to watch position on master axis to start the linear actuator motion(MAPC), once it reaches roll form speed I am triggering the press cycle. The issue I am having using the MAW command is both presses(flying knives) can not be executing the MAW at the same time(Execution Collision). So I am toggling back and forth with one MAW, but because of the spacing between the first and second press I need to be able to have them function at the same time for some products that are being made. I thought of using a virtual axis but you can not use a MAW with a Virtual Axis. I have no sensor to be able to trigger a MAR. Looking for other ideas to go about this. Thanks Jared.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you should be able to use 2 MAWs simultaneously as long as you create seperate motion_instructions for them.

However, would a MAOC make more sense in this case with different on/off points for each Knife?

I did try with two MAW each with a unique motion control tag and anytime they both are enabled at the same time one errors for execution collision. I will look at trying to figure out the MAOC and give it a try. Thanks

If I understand your setup (not 100% sure that I do), you are looking to have two independant linear actuators cam with reference to a roll. You are trying to use an MAW to initiate the cams?

If so, Can you forget the MAW completley and just set up your CAMs as pending? So when the roll gets into position to match the beginnning of your CAM, the CAM would automatically start. Then re-initiate your CAM to wait for the next cycle.

Maybe I will read every post before getting embarrassed

+1 for kekrahulik

Stop using the MAW

Use the MAPC with "Pending" and use the master position to trigger the CAM

This is also more accurate as the scan time (reaction time to MAW and MAPC engage time {typically 2 to 3 scans} ) is not involved

Last edited: