Yamaha RCX340

irondesk40

One of our managers has gotten a quote for a Yamaha RCX340 for a project.
Anyone have any experience with this product?
Do you program it with a PLC or program all of the moves etc. in the RCX340.
I briefly looked it over since I was asked to review it and it appears all the moves can be programmed in the RCX340 and you would just give it a start type signal.
If I remember correctly about a year ago I had a Rep tell me that you could use AOI instructions for the Compact Logix plc to control Yamaha Robots but we went with something else since all the machines already have Micrologix plcs. We probably have close to a thousand of the micrologix 1400 units which is why we did not go with the Yamaha, instead used a Sure Servo unit from Automation direct for less than half the cost.

Pretty impressive unit.
In one of the video's I saw they have it applying what looks like liquid gasket type material around a piece of equipment and the Robot follows the outline of the shape of the equipment.

Looking at something like this that would follow the shape of a piece of material and have a extruder head mounted on the end of the robot to extrude the product around the inside edge of the material.

Looks like the Yamaha is capable of this. I downloaded the programming manual and you program it using what Yamaha call Robot language.

We have Hass CNC machines in our machine shop and watching those run we have started looking to see if there is a robot manufacture such as Yamaha that a drawing could be made using Autocadd or other type software and download that ifile nto the Robot and it follow the shape specified in the file that was downloaded.

Anyone have any advice on any type of Robot manufacturer that is capable of this.
Thanks

I've been using Yamaha robots for the last 10 years. However I have not used the 340 yet. They are good units and we have had very little problems. They are what I would call a simple robot. They don't do a lot of the more advanced stuff the big boy's do but are very good quality.

I know Fanuc/Kuka/Motoman/ABB robots all have packages for what many of them call robot machining. These packages would take in a CAD model just like your CNC.

You may want to take a look at the robot forum
http://www.robot-forum.com/robotforum/