Safety grayed out in 1768 L43S

m_ryzebol

I am working on a Compact Logix and am unable to view safety routines.

I can lock/unlock, even generate new signature, but I cannot view the safety logic. It makes no change if I am online or offline with the safety locked or unlocked. Cross referencing a Safety Tag from stand logic shows "Source Unavailable"

I borrowed a co-workers laptop as a quick check, and could view and edit safety, but the standard logic is all grayed out and unavailable.

Attached are screenshots of what I mean by "grayed out"

I am guessing there is either a computer setting (maybe missing some config files) or something to do with how I have comm set up to get online. I usually work with Control Logix and have never had an issue viewing/editing safety logic.

Any Ideas?

Cross Reference.jpg Safety Task.PNG

Because I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong, attached is the path I am using to get online.

I am using slot 0 in the 1768 bus. I am unable to select slot 0 of the 1769 bus.

This is my first time working on a CompactLogix so please point out the obvious!

Path.PNG

There is really no difference between Controllogix and Compactlogix on safety other than the obvious h/w. Everything appears right; the slot 0 you're concerned about on the two busses is correct and can not be anything else.

Wow Thanks Ron, I did not even know that source protection existed!

I think that this is definitely what is going on.

So from what I have just read, it looks like I am out of luck. In order for me to gain access I need the Key, and the keys are all user generated (unique), so I cant just get it off the Rockwell Knowledgebase or anything like that.

The laptop I borrowed belonged to a guy from the original manufacturer of this cell, so he probably had the key. I was just contracted to add some tooling and a robot to it and they never gave me the key.

It's not a big deal for this project as the safeties were all done before the guy from the original manufacturer left. It was more the knowledge that I was after in case I ever run into this again.

In the future I will need to ask the customer if there is source protection.

I am going to contact them and see if I can get a copy of that key just so I know 100% that this is what is going on.

Thanks so much for that link!

I have edited safeties on numerous other PLCs, just never a CompactLogix, and I can lock/unlock the safety of this PLC so I definitely have the right version.

Thanks

Ron, This is definitely my issue. It appears that the plant actually protected it as I have just opened up the OEMs last file on the original install (2014) and I can view all the safeties etc. It isn't until after an upload that I lose access in that file.

I am confused why the guy from the OEM had access with the 'same' file that I was given.

I will definitely read into this more but at least I know what is going on now.

Thanks so much!