1769-L33ER 5333 Communications

Barry Kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Using RS-Logix 20.01 I've got two PLCs.

I'm trying to set up communications between the two PLCs.

The one PLC is a 1769-L33ER CompactLogix5333ER Controller.

The other one is a 1756-L71 ControlLogix5571 Controller

When I'm Online with the ControlLogix PLC, under the Controller Organizer Window in the I/O Configuration, I can see the 1769-L33ER but it has a yellow triangle next to it.

When I go into the properties of that controller, it comes up as a

1769-L33ER CompactLogix 5370 Controller and not a 5333ER Controller.

When I try to change the controller type, it doesn't list 5333 as a possibility, just the 5370.

Does anybody know the solution to this problem?

Please check controllogix IP and compactlogix IP adresses, are they on the same subnet ??
What kind of data switch are you using to connect them ??
Can you ping both from your PC ??

Found the answer... The gateway address had not been set on the Ethernet card. The two PLCs are on different subnets.