Siemens TI8 Networks and rungs

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
In TI8 portal...I notice there are "Networks" and rungs used.
You can have more than 1 rung in a Network and you can have multiple Networks.

What is the purpose of a "Network"??
Most of the ladder logic I have used is only rungs.

In the old Siemens programming, a network was basically the same thing as a rung: one line of ladder logic.

In the TIA Portal, with the newer PLCs, you can have multiple lines of LAD per network. The original best practice was still to only do one thing per network, but sometimes "one thing" is transfer all my internal bits to my outputs in an FBD, something like that.

More recently, I've also seen programmers who use the network to group logic together (control logic for motor one, alarm logic for motor 1, control 2, alarm 2, etc). I like this, and it helps manage the whole "Portal only expands 6 networks at a time when you open a block" thing.

In using the Networks, I have found it nice to be able to isolate related lines (or rungs) of logic to a Network, also easier to copy or move.

I have found a good practice with TIA portal is to use mostly one or two rungs per network.

This allows the network name to be a high level comment such as "Tank overfill alarm" or "Start pump 1 on tank overfill alarm".

Once you collapse all networks the names then provide a sort of flow chart of the code. This then allows you to find the rungs you need.

I have found a good practice with TIA portal is to use mostly one or two rungs per network.

This allows the network name to be a high level comment such as "Tank overfill alarm" or "Start pump 1 on tank overfill alarm".

Once you collapse all networks the names then provide a sort of flow chart of the code. This then allows you to find the rungs you need.

Exactly what I meant in my previous post.