Best option for PLC training?

tyler000

I currently have an associates in industrial technology which included 3 semesters of PLC programming. Those 3 semesters got me a certificate for PLC programming but honestly was far from enough training to accept a programming job. I've been working as an electrical maintenance man for the last 3 years but would like to focus more on PLCs. What would be my best option moving forward to get the training I need plus look good on paper to a potential employer? I've seen everything from taking some training courses online to getting an engineering degree and i'm not sure what the best option is. Thanks

Your best bet would be to look for a job with a OEM machine builder or integrator. There you can get the experience you are looking for. Working with experienced programmers will show you a great deal. The best training is On The Job Training.

If you can afford to take a class, look-up Ron Beuafort on this site. He runs a "PLC Boot Camp" class in South Carolina that I believe is one week in length. At the end, you'll be tired, but you will know your way around PLC's. Particularly Allen-Bradley.

Buy a cheap Automation Direct (or similar) PLC and train yourself! (if you can't get an entry-level PLC programming job)

Luckily, if you're cool with investing in yourself, you can get a lot of different brand PLCs for cheap nowadays. The platform that matters most (here anyway), AB CompactLogix & ControlLogix, is too expensive to buy and train on. Last I looked the entry level CompactLogix is still over $1,200, and besides the software is too expensive too. Luckily though most PLC packages have very similar instruction sets, so experience elsewhere will translate/transfer.

So yes, check out cheap PLCs that have free software packages. AB MicroLogix (1000, need RSLogix Micro for higher but it's only ~$120) or Micro800, IDEC FC, Automation Direct CLICK, etc. Go through all the different instructions for the PLC, figure out how to use them and what it's used for.

Edit: I think the cheapest will be the Automation Direct CLICK series, probably spend around $100 total depending on what you pick.

Last edited:
tyler000 said:
What would be my best option moving forward to get the training I need plus look good on paper to a potential employer

There are many ways and it depends on your budget and the platform you would like to learn, all PLC's are close to the same but just do the task a little different... but when it comes to finding a job your future employer will be looking for a few 'key words' on your resume, Allen Bradley and Siemens in your area. Try and stay with AB or Siemens until you get more experience then move to off brands to go the programming styles down

We sell PLC Training Kits www.plccable.com and offer a lot of brands but if you dont have the budget then check ebay for a used PLC you can find a lot of good deals (and some not so good)

But the main point is to learn some practical uses and get comfortable... when I was interviewing I would walk out to the cabinet and just ask them questions, nothing hard but just to see if they did not know it how fast would they figure something out... or would they just say 'I dont know' and would not even try

I also see your in TN so if your employer can have them flip the bill for Ron's class as MasterBlaster mentioned, its a great class and everyone that I sent learned a TON, I need to get down there before he retires for a ControlLogix class

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to look for a job with a OEM machine builder or integrator. There you can get the experience you are looking for. Working with experienced programmers will show you a great deal. The best training is On The Job Training.

Seconded. Don't be afraid to get a job wiring machines and panels. Familiarity with wiring is a big asset to design, commissioning, troubleshooting, and service work. In a position like this you can ask to do the initial commissioning of the controller when the wiring is complete, and that is great experience too. The hardest part of PLC work is getting all the devices to talk to one another!

I second the commissioning/service route, you'll get a ton of experience. Unfortunately its not a great position if you have family with younger children - a lot of time could be spent away from home.

Classes and school are great to get you started. But most classes don't go beyond the basics and into more complex or complicated programming. For that, the best thing is to see a live system. Having equipment to practice on makes a huge difference.

So, get your hands on some equipment you can practice on. As mentioned, there are lots of low cost hardware choices as well as some that have free software. Then have a task in mind. Start with something simple like operating a lift (simple concept, not always a simple program).

OG

I second the commissioning/service route, you'll get a ton of experience. Unfortunately its not a great position if you have family with younger children - a lot of time could be spent away from home.

You are correct there. I am writing this from a hotel room in a small town in Italy. I will be here away from my family for 4 weeks. But on the flip side this is by far the largest project I have programed. 32 servo axis and about 500 I/O points. A great learning experience both professionally and culturally. Doing service work is how I got into this line of work some twenty years ago. It may take a little sacrifice but it can be very worthwhile.

You are correct there. I am writing this from a hotel room in a small town in Italy. I will be here away from my family for 4 weeks. But on the flip side this is by far the largest project I have programed. 32 servo axis and about 500 I/O points. A great learning experience both professionally and culturally. Doing service work is how I got into this line of work some twenty years ago. It may take a little sacrifice but it can be very worthwhile.

What town? I was in Cassino for 5 weeks last year on a FCA project.

Here is a free training series on the Click PLC:

Click PLC System Hardware
Click PLC Installing the Software
Click PLC Establish Communication
Click PLC Numbering System and Addressing
Click PLC Timers and Counters
Click PLC Compare and Math Instructions
Click PLC Program Control Instructions
Click PLC Shift Register Instruction
Click PLC Drum Instruction
Click PLC Send and Receive Instructions
Click PLC AdvancedHMI Communication

The series starts at a basic level and advances into communication. Here is the link to the start of the series.
http://accautomation.ca/click-plc-system-hardware/

Regards,

Ron Beaufort's PLC Boot Camp is awesome. Ron really knows his stuff! I attended the training with several people who already had years of experience in PLC programming, and they had to unlearn a lot of fundamental misunderstandings. It's expensive, but worth it. He's retiring at the end of the year, so I'd hurry.