Logix 5000 pack tags into UDT

Jslimjeff

I have completed a project and the customer has come back with a request to pack some of the tags commonly used into a UDT. 3 INTs and 4 BOOLs. What is required to do so.
I created the UDT and created name identifiers for the tag types. I am stuck on what to do next and link the original tags to the UDT. I have searched for info and can only find info on UDTs and AOIs.
If you have a doc or any small summary I would appreciate.
If I can not figure it out. I would be willing to use team viewer and pay for assistance.

Regards

Once you create a UDT, you then create a tag that is an instance of your new UDT.

-Press CTRL+W to create a new tag.
-Specify your new tag name
-In the "Data Type" field, specify your UDT name

Well if you have tags that already exist, you can edit the tag and change it's type to your new UDT.

Find the original tag in your tag database (Controller Tags if they are controller scoped). Then right click on it and select Edit "TagName" Properties. Change the Data Type to your new UDT.

Keep in mind this cannot be done online, only offline.

Edit: If you have tags that already exist that you do not want to disturb, then you may need to create new tags that are of the type of your UDT, then move the data from your original tag into your new tag. If that makes any sense....

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain in this one.

I created tag for the UDT I created and type is linked to the UDT. (the tag now appears in my controller tag diaplay, upon hitting expand I see the array names I created for where I plan on linking existing tag to.)

Open edit for existing tag that was a INT. I open and change type to the UDT name. I want to link I it to array spot (2) of the Real in the UDT I created. How do I go about assigning it to the right array spot and data type.

See image below. What I want i 10 DINT types, 10 REAL & 10 Bool to be part of the UDT. Is that possible? I have the REAL created as a member and selected the DIM for the array I beleive which is correct. How do I then create the BOOLs as it will not let me create a different array number and it defaults it to 32.

See attached PICS.

plc 1.jpg plc 2.JPG plc 3.jpg

Last edited: