PDA

View Full Version : Can't see Micro850 after failed firmware update

TijanaJ
September 13th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Hello everyone!

This is the first time I use Micro850 controller (2080-LC50-48QWB) and after I made a really simple programme (just for testing) I wanted to download it to my controller (which I was able to see and connect to via Ethernet and USB normally) and I got a message saying that firmware version didn't match (programme - v9, and PLC - v4).

So I found some datasheet where was explained how to upgrade device firmware with ControlFLASH. I started the mentioned software, choose the right controller, and I choose the version 9 and the process started, but near the end I got the ERROR message, and the update wasn't finished successfully. So my controller went to fault (FAULT red light flashes) and now I can not see it in RSLinx nor via Ethernet nor USB.

Does anyone have any idea what could I do to try to establish connection with my controller? I have tried to change from prog mode to run, and back to prog, but the fault remains.

I really hope that I didn't make some serious mistake, because we need this PLC very soon for work.

Thanks in advance!:beer:

geniusintraining
September 13th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Never had one fail but have you cycled power?

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2080-um002_-en-e.pdf

Page 255 for error codes

Were you flashing with a VM ? also were you using the USB or Ethernet ?

kay_gsr13
September 13th, 2016, 01:11 PM
The firmware upgrade attempt probably over-written your communication settings. Use the serial connection to try re-establish your settings and flash again.

TijanaJ
September 14th, 2016, 02:53 AM
First of all, thank you very much for your advice!

geniustraining, I have tried cycling power many times, but nothing changed. I did flash with a VM though, but I have done that with ControlLogix some time ago and there was no problem, so I didn't assume it will be now:huh: I was using USB connection, and I have done everything according to the manual (except for the VM part:bonkhead: ).

kay_gsr13, I thought of that last night too, but that failed also. Although, I have never tried to connect via serial port before, so maybe I am doing something wrong. I will try again now.
This PLC supports Modbus RTU, CIP serial client/server and CIP symbolic client/server. I am not sure which driver should I configure in RSLinx? I tried "RS232 DF1 devices" :utoh: Should I try another one?

geniusintraining
September 14th, 2016, 07:07 AM
This PLC supports Modbus RTU, CIP serial client/server and CIP symbolic client/server. I am not sure which driver should I configure in RSLinx? I tried "RS232 DF1 devices" :utoh: Should I try another one?

I work with 820's more then any others... but I use the virtual driver and or Ethernet IP, try using Ethernet IP and see if it just sees it on the network, it is was set back to a factory default it may and you can just download your program again

TijanaJ
September 14th, 2016, 07:40 AM
geniustraining,
I have tried Ethernet IP and I don't see the plc, as well as via USB or serial port. The only way I can see anything regarding my controller is on AB_VBP_1, but I don't understand what can I use that connection for, and is there anything I can do with that to reestablish other forms of connection?
Is virtual backplane of any assistance in my case, when I can't approach my controller in any other way?
:huh:

geniusintraining
September 14th, 2016, 07:43 AM
The only way I can see anything regarding my controller is on AB_VBP_1, but I don't understand what can I use that connection for

Can you flash it again using the VBP ?

TijanaJ
September 14th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I have tried, but when I select the adequate catalog number of the PLC, and then I select Micro850 from VBP, the next information pops up:
Invalid Catalog Number: The catalog number of the selected device does not match the catalog number selected in the Catalog Number Dialog.

But I am 100% sure that I didn't make a mistake when choosing the information.
In the attachment is the print screen of my RSLinx window

nhatsen
September 14th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Try this: right click on the controller shown in the AB_VBP-1 driver, and click on Upload EDS file from device. After registering the uploaded EDS, check the USB driver.

TijanaJ
September 14th, 2016, 09:24 AM
nhatsen, thank you for your advice!
Although, I have thought of that, but there is no such option on right click (screen shot in the attachment). Wherever I click - on the controller, on any of the channels or on the yellow question mark, it's the same, no option for EDS upload. I have downloaded eds for the used controller from AB and I have added it using EDS Hardware Installation Tool, but nothing changed.
Whatever I try to do via VBP has no effect, which is why I don't really understand the purpose of the driver?:huh: