RedLion G308 + AB SLC 5/05

morgue

I'll try to simplify this as much as possible... I have a G308 that acts as a webserver dashboard and collects misc data (bottle counts, bottles per minute, downtime, etc) straight from plc registers (mix of slc 5/05s and ML1100s). I have no problem reading the registers and populating fields but, I cant seem to write anything to a plc data file (N, B, F, L file) NOTHING... I know the mapping is just fine due to the HMI reading the plc register data... All flags are set to read/write as well. I'm currently doing this within Crimson 2. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The PLC registers you're attempting to write from the G3... are you sure the ladder logic isn't writing to those same addresses? The PLC would always win if there was a conflict.

I assume you don't have data file protection enabled?

Addresses are clear, double and triple checked. Flags are bit level and arent allocated anywhere else (checked via cross ref and find all). I can post screenshots if need be. I did some EIP messaging earlier today with 5 different plcs (including the ones in question) and had 0 issues. Writing words from a 5/05 to 3 other 5/05s and 2 ML1100s. Checked for sheets and giggles on the data protection.. nope, not enabled.

Last edited:
What drivers are you using in Crimson? If memory serves me right it should be "DF1 Master" for the SLC and "DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP" for the MicroLogix.

Can you post your Crimson file?

What drivers are you using in Crimson? If memory serves me right it should be "DF1 Master" for the SLC and "DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP" for the MicroLogix.

Can you post your Crimson file?

Ok, if that is truth.. I may see an issue. I'm using "DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP" for all of my plcs. But I also tested on all the mapped PLCs (ML and SLC) and nothing happened. I'll be back at work tomorrow and can give up some more details... I just hate being beat by stupid issues like this and its been bothering me all night.

Last edited:
I recall having some frustration early on with those drivers. Even though the settings under both drivers seem to imply that they work with both ML and SLC, it wasn't so. I'm pretty sure that I had to use "DF1 Master" with the SLCs but I don't remember why. Might be worth a try.

I noticed that you have all your devices configured as "ENI/Micrologix" even though some of them are SLCs right? I'd suggest putting the SLCs on the DF1 Master driver and see what happens. Good night and good luck!

I made a button and couldnt get any plc to respond. But basically if you go to the programming section in Crimson, you'll see what I was intending to do.

I noticed that you have all your devices configured as "ENI/Micrologix" even though some of them are SLCs right? I'd suggest putting the SLCs on the DF1 Master driver and see what happens. Good night and good luck!

Ok, I'll try that. Ive been tugging at the last few strands of hair I have left over something so stupid... I'll report back what I get. Thanks for your direction.

Wait a minute... is that program the only place where you are attempting to write data? If so, I don't think it will work. The program will go into an infinite loop with the Do statement. If you just want it to repeat continually, take the Do out and put the program call into an OnTick action.

Wait a minute... is that program the only place where you are attempting to write data? If so, I don't think it will work. The program will go into an infinite loop with the Do statement. If you just want it to repeat continually, take the Do out and put the program call into an OnTick action.

Yes I want it to run continuously in a loop.. due to the time condition that needs to be met. But that still doesn't explain why I cant make a momentary button write to any of my registers. I'll change programming it to what you suggested as well.

You can use a button to write to your registers... just don't put a loop inside it. I made a modification to your program to do what I think is your intent. It seems that you want the program to constantly loop and write to the listed tags when RESET_DATA is either 25210 or 68410. (I'm not totally certain what you're trying to do here since RESET_DATA is equal to GetNow() which is constantly incrementing and will only equal those values at a single point in time.) But regardless, I set up two tag triggers on RESET_DATA for those two values. The triggers will execute the program which is now simplified.

EDIT: OK, now I understand, you're using GetNowTime() not GetNow(), so the returned value will equal your two numbers once per day which is when you want to run your code. I think my changes should still work but I forgot to delete the button... don't push it.

Last edited:
Hmmm I also see now that your original program was set to run in the background. That could potentially fix the infinite loop problem but I'm not sure. I'm curious to know if my changes work.

You can use a button to write to your registers... just don't put a loop inside it. I made a modification to your program to do what I think is your intent. It seems that you want the program to constantly loop and write to the listed tags when RESET_DATA is either 25210 or 68410. (I'm not totally certain what you're trying to do here since RESET_DATA is equal to GetNow() which is constantly incrementing and will only equal those values at a single point in time.) But regardless, I set up two tag triggers on RESET_DATA for those two values. The triggers will execute the program which is now simplified.

EDIT: OK, now I understand, you're using GetNowTime() not GetNow(), so the returned value will equal your two numbers once per day which is when you want to run your code. I think my changes should still work but I forgot to delete the button... don't push it.

I see what you did there... I honestly never looked into conditional triggers or even knew that tab existed. I'll dump it in tomorrow and see what happens. Either way, you've been a great resource. I'll report back. Thanks again