PVP, barcode scanner & GoDex printer

dilkep

I know there are several older threads with similar questions but none covered the PVP7 that I could tell.

Have a customer wanting to set up a system with a compact logix, PVP7, barcode scanner & GoDex DT4x printer. The barcode scanner will go thru a USB/EIP gateway to get data into the PLC. That data will be displayed on the PVP, and eventually printed to a label on the DT4x.

I've never used a printer in this way before and don't have one to play with currently. I'm aware of the Knowledge Base article that lists printers that can be used with the PVP, however the customer wants to use this particular printer because they have it on other systems (connected to a pc).

Wondering if anybody has any experience, tips, pitfalls, etc. that can help me out. I think my worst-case is having to get the printer on the network and send it data in whatever language to create the label. While doable, I feel like there should be some simpler method.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

With the PVP you can print alarm logs, diagnostic logs, and a full screen capture. That's it.

If you want to write your own protocol, you could use the Kepware driver UCON (user configurable). It is intended for serial devices, but you can encapsulate that into an Ethernet packet.
That is the only way you will get custom text printed from the PVP.

Some label printers are setup/configured with desktop PC software. Then you only need to send a text string to the printer (ex. barcode) and it will print your label all nice and formatted.
That could be made to work with the PVP.

Start with your printer and find out what it requires to print a label, formatted all nice.