AB 1756 Redundancy Time Sync error

MartyMaucher

Any redundancy gurus out there? I Got this redundant 1756-L73 system to SYNC a couple of times, but now it is DISQualifying the backup controller. RSLinx/RM2 Configuration Event Log shows "Initial Secondary Time Sync Failure" from the network card.

The CIP Sync Time is set up with the Primary controller as the Grand Master. The Primary network card is set for "Time Sync and Motion". But, it keeps disqualifying when trying to synchronize.
Any ideas?

TimeNotSyncError.jpg EN2TRsync.jpg EN2General.PNG

Last edited:
With a some help from here and Rockwell, I got (my first) 1756 redundant PLC with DLR network working. Solution to time sync problem is at the bottom of my notes below.

This may be trivial for some, but these are my notes for my setup which may be helpful to someone new to AB redundancy:
Thanks,
Marty.

PLC redundancy and DLR network notes:

Stratix 5700 switch configuration:
Press Express Setup button with push pin for 6 seconds
Use browser to connect to 169.254.0.1, Default login: admin/switch
Admin, Software Update, select latest firmware file (Ex: s5700-universal-tar.152-5.EA3.tar, takes ~20 mins)
Express setup (for 1 VLAN):
VLAN: 1, static IP, mask
User: admin/admin
Advanced: Same as management VLAN
Configure SmartPorts:
Pick 2 ports for the DLR (SmartPort role = None)
Set ports with computers, analyzers, devices connect to "Desktop for Automation" role
Set ports with other network switches to "Switch for Automation" role
Configure DLR (using ports 15,16 as an example):
Mode: Node (for switch in DLR network)
Port 1: Fast Ethernet 15
Port 2: Fast Ethernet 16

Use Studio 5000 v24, 1756-L73 firmware 24.052 which is the latest firmware that supports redundancy modules.
Set primary and redundant PLC to same IP address
(Redundancy module will set it to +1 IP on network which is also viewable in EN2TR window)
Set PLC controller keys to Remote mode (redundancy module will control Run mode)
In PLC software project:
Set network cards (EN2TR), properties:
General tab:
Change, Time Sync Connection: Time Sync and Motion
Make sure firmware is the same (Ex: 10.007)
Network tab:
Set at least one network card in the DLR ring as Enable Supervisor Mode
Advanced tab for Supervisor: Set precedence as 255 or heirarchy of backup supervisors nodes.
Network topology should detect and show "Ring" on all network cards in the ring network.
Load the Software the Primary PLC only.
The Redundancy Modules will copy over the program, tag values, and network card settings to the secondary PLC.

Install the Redundancy Firmware software bundle to get the Redundancy Module configuration tool.
Use RSLinx to right click on the 1756-RM2 Redundancy Module and open the RM Configuration.
Use this RM Configuration window to troubleshoot the setup and synchronizing:
Synchronization tab will allow you to manually start Synchronization.
When synchronization works, should see something like this sequence on the secondary PLC redundancy module:
DISQ (optional on power up) ~20 seconds
QFNG ~30 seconds
SYNC (successfully synchronized)
And if it fails:
DISQ (failed to synchronize) check Synchronization tab, Recent Synchronization attempts for reason.

The Event Log tab will show more detailed events and errors (some which may or may not be critical causes of sync failure),
so use the Synchronization tab to find the cause of the SYNC failure.
For Example: I kept seeing "Abort: Time Sync failure" in this tab which was caused by an SSV instruction setting
the PLC clock time on every scan which then caused a redundancy sync failure.
Fixed that and it time synced fine and redundancy synced fine.

You can pull out cards (even the controller) from the PLC to help narrow down the cause of a sync failure.

Last edited: