iFIX OPC What does this error mean

russrmartin

Hi all. I've got iFIX 2.6 running OPC7.33 driver. I was previously talking to RSLinx gateway on the local driver. Someone else installed RSView and RSLinx for RSView. That is all that I know was changed. My OPC client stopped working. Just for fun, I uninstalled and reinstalled iFIX 2.6, and the OPC driver. Everything supposedly went smoothly. I am using a keyless option. However, when I go to the OPC Config Tool, all of my groups will not talk to my servers. When I look at my OPC event window, it shows the error:

Connection to server Server1 failed: ProgID=RSLinx OPC Server:Class is not licensed for use. Does anyone know what that means? I have seen the error all over in forums for other applications, but no explanations as to what it really is or how to fix the problem.

Russ

RSLinx has many different licenses for it.

When installed without any license, it runs as RSLinx Lite, and can only be used for comms to PLC's with Rockwell Programming software.

If it is enabled with a 'phantom license' (which can be provided by a license for RSView, or RSViewSE Server), it will only communicate to PLC's and RSView.

The Gateway, and Professional, and I think OEM license allows RSLinx to run as a generic DDE/OPC server to any client. You probably need to re-install the license file for Gateway to get everything working again.

What are the exact types of the RSLinx and RSView software packages that the other person installed ?

If it is RSView32, then the RSLinx version was probably "OEM".

If it is RSView ME or RSView SE, then the RSLinx version was probably "Enterprise". That could be a problem. Not sure that Gateway and Enterprise can coexist next to each other on the same machine. I doubt it.

edit: Rereading your post I am not sure that the new software was installed on the PC with RSLinx Gateway, or the PC with the iFIX OPC server.

Last edited:
Same machine

I did not actually check the versions of RSView or Linx. I just noticed that the heading on the RSLinx window no longer said Gateway, but instead, RSLinx for RSView. Both versions were installed on the same computer. For a chronology of events,

iFIX installed on computer
RSLinx Gateway loaded on computer.

Everything happy.

RSView installed on comp.
RSLinx for RSView installed.

iFIX OPC client will not connect to server.

I am off for the weekend, but I will try to get some version #s for you on Monday to clear up some questions.