Factory Talk Studio configuration/runtime file

stallone

Hello all,

can anyone shed some light on the following;

I have FT View studio enterprise 8.20 running on my development PC.
I would like to create a standalone SE SCADA program to run on my customer's PC which has FT View SE Station 8.10.

How do i do this?
Is there a way to develop the file on my development pc and then save the runtime file or client file and then restore and run it on my customers station PC?

TIA:)

Thanks for the quick reply nhatsen,

i have been through that manual a good few times and it unfortunately cannot help with my question.

So i thought i would ask it here for the professionals to answer

Hmmm, not sure about the version differences, I've never tried that. For sure you can do it if its the same version, I do it all the time. Actually I have one running right now. Just launch the client on your development computer. I usually just use the Launch Client button in FTView Studio.

Once you are done your application use the Application Manager to backup the application from your development computer. Then copy it to the customer's computer and restore it using Application manager on that computer.

But again, I'm not sure about the version difference.

I tried that,

i went to my development computer, ver 8.20 and backed up using application manager,

then on the other pc i tried to backup using application manager but it says that my file is not a valid archive file.

small update,

i can make a backup of an application on my version 8.10 and successfully restore it on my 8.20 version.

However if i do it the other way from 8.20 to 8.10 then i get the "not a valid archive file" error.

Also if i restore it onto the 8.20 version, when i open the application, it pops up to say project will be converted to 8.20 and cannot go back.

What if i wanted to edit the application later on in an earlier version?
Example, in ftview me, you can open in latest version and it will convert but then it has the feature to save as an earlier version

Last edited:
Hey Stallone...

For what it's worth, I have never been able to develop in a later SE version and apply to a customer's earlier version. It is not from a lack of trying! There may be some long convoluted process, but the easiest way for me is to have different versions running on VM's and develop in the same version as the customer. Better yet, is to have the development environment on the customer box and develop with the 7 day grace period remotely with Team Viewer or equivalent (if, of course, they have an external connection for you... which we require in our FSD).

As you were...
Steve

EDIT: The reason ME is so flexible is because it relies on runtime files.

Last edited:
It is *possible* to export all of the components from your v8.2, and re-import them into v8.1. It can be a pain, because any new features in v8.2 will have to be removed from the xml before you import it into v8.1 or it will fail.

A little while back, I wanted to export a single display from v8.2 to v7. As there are a lot of differences between v7 and v8.x, this took about half an hour of trying to import, noting the error message, removing the offending parameter, and repeat. It eventually worked, and once you work out what has to be deleted, I'm sure that with NotePad++ and the find and replace tool for multiple files, you could get it to work for you. There shouldn't be as many differences between v8.1 and 8.2, so hopefully there wouldn't be quite so much. But it will be a time consuming process regardless.

Better option is, as other have said, to do all your development on the machine it will be deployed on. Doesn't help you now, unfortunately.

Is it an option to upgrade the deployment machine to v8.2?

Thanks ASF,

not at this stage, they wont upgrade so soon.

Do you know if i would be able to download an earlier version and use my later version license or do i have to re-purchase per version?

Going backwards in versions/revisions is a problem. As mentioned there are features in the new versions that do not appear in the older versions.

If the reverse was true (you were using v8.1) going forward is easy enough.

OG

Basically what happened was my customer wanted a local station SCADA, therefore i purchased the station licence which was 8.10.

Then a few months later they wanted the development software, which they bought but the version is now 8.20.

So what this means is the development software they bought, they wont be able to create applications and then run them on the station pc they have.

The license is version independent. So with any licence, you can run any version.

If they only just purchased v8.2, they should be under support - meaning that regardless of the version supplied on the disc, they should be able to download either v8.1 of the development software, or v8.2 of the client. In fact, if you download it online, I think you get the whole install package in one hit, and you just select whether you're installing development software, client, or server when you do the install.