Siemens S7-1200 & Danfoss FC280 on Profinet

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Quoting a system which calls for a Siemens S7-1200 and a Danfoss FC280. Cost-wise, it's much the same whether I use a higher-spec PLC which has analog outputs onboard for speed control, or buy the Profinet adaptor for the drive and control it via comms.

Siemens isn't my preferred language, and while I have used a few Danfoss drives on comms before, it's all been EtherNet/IP to an Allen-Bradley PLC. I'd prefer to do Profinet, because it's neater, but I'm just wondering how steep the learning curve will be, and if it will end up way more expensive than just doing analog controls.

Does anyone have any experience with Danfoss and Siemens over Profinet who could give me an indication of how difficult (or not) it might be? There are profinet GSD files available for download on the danfoss website, but I've not played in this particular sandpit before to know how much help they are (or aren't).

Thanks!

Did the Danfoss get a FC280 PROFINET option out already? I didn't think it was going to be available until Christmas time?

Back to your question:

Relatively easy, at least it was one of the easier PROFINET configurations I've done.

I've only used the FC322 drives over PROFINET with a S7-315, but the 280 looks to be configured the same way. The FC322 drives were configured using a PROFIdrive standard telegram, or you can pick a custom telegram with additional data.

We set ours up in a few hours, the GSD gives you a drag/drop for the telegram selection. Once you have your I/Q addresses, you can populate with whatever data you need. The manual Danfoss supplies has a real good description of the status/control words and how to supply the reference value.

Pi

If the GSD files support the standard profidrive telegrams, they should be easy to integrate into the built in Technology Objects in the 1200. The TO basically takes care of the comms for you. It shouldn't be any harder than configuring analog control in the TO.

Good news!

As to the profinet option, my local Danfoss distributor sent me a quote with a profinet card "used on VLT Types FC100 / FC200 / FC300". So I assumed that it would work on the FC280, but given your comment above, I'm gonna make a phone call and ask some more probing question ;)

Thanks!

Function Block with a few a mods should work- PM me if you want it
I actually changed HW to Standard Telegram 1- but I didn't change the screenshots

FB.jpg

Last edited:
So after further enquiries, I am told that the FC280 - or at least, the model I have been quoted - has profinet onboard with no need for an option card. So that's a win - even cheaper than I thought, that's definitely pushed it over the line from analog to profinet control. I figured there must have been something available if they had profinet GSD files online!