still having trouble with slc5/03

reddywatt

Thanks for all your great help
I really appreciate all of the suggestions and I think I have tried them all.
but I still cannot get my rslinx lite to recongize the processor
slc5/03

I do know that the plc was working when it was taken down from a
job site

the cable is a radio shack d9 female to female with null modem adptor
female to male

anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated

once agai :) n thank you for your help

Most likely the port has been reconfigured to ascii user mode. It is now a simple serial port. I have done this to talk to third party devices. You need to get a pic and connect to the RJ-45 port.

Do you need to save the program that is in the processor? If not you could pull the battery for a few days and this may reset the system. More knowledgable people can verfiy this.

It's theoretically possible that the original programmer of the SLC put Channel 0 in 'Shutdown' mode.

If that's the case, I'm not sure that you use it to access the SLC.

I also have a vague memory that the 5/03 with OS300 didn't support DF1 programming, but OS301 and up did.

You might be better off programming the SLC as God (and AB intended - via DH-485. Contact your AB distributor and see if he can come over (with a PIC, or a PCMK(B) card with a CP6 (?) cable, just to see if those will work (or to enable CH0, and get the baud rate right).

If you don't need the existing program, reset the processor. It will set the serial port to default values (I think this is 1200 baud, etc.). To do this, remove the SLC from the chassis. Disconnect the battery connector. On the back side of the processor board, find 2 points: one is VBB, the other is GND. Short them out for about 30 seconds to discharge the capacitor. Don't forget to reconnect the battery when you are finished.

The processor should start with the fault lamp flashing - this is normal. Go to 'configure' for the DF1 driver and press 'Auto configure'. Linx should find the processor and connect.

When writing your program, set the serial port baud rate to 19.2k. The first download will be slow at the default rate, but subsequent ones will be much faster.

Good Luck. Dennis B.

just following up -

I talked to reddywatt by phone - I talked him through this "reset" operation several times with no success - the next morning (in the shower of course) it hit me - EEPROM - reddywatt didn't know what the darn thing was - but somehow he had just instinctively pulled it out - then the reset worked - and communication was established - sorry I didn't think of telling him to remove the EEPROM before trying the "reset" - but we live and we learn