Terminology

stzatzop

Hello all.
I want to ask what is a non-floating digital input card and what is the difference with a floating one.

I've got to admit the term "floating digital input card" is a new one on me. I think there is a mixing of terms here.

Power sources for the signals can "float", which means the "-" or neutral side of the power source isn't tied to ground. All voltage measurements must be between the "+" or line and the "-" or neutral wires. If voltage is measured to ground with a floating power supply you may get a reading from either the "-" or neutral to ground.

If I am guessing right, then your instructor may be asking about input cards where the "-" side may be tied to ground on the card. This isn't very common.

A floating digital input module displaces a volume of fluid which weighs more than the module. A non-floating digital input module displaces a volume of fluid which weighs less than the module.

Seriously, that's a term I've never run across. Try posting the term in your native language, and maybe somebody can come up with a better translation.

Fishing

No real idea but could it be each input has its own reference ground ie each input has a positive and negative connection...

She married Mike "Meathead" Mundi. They got divorced and she later married Peter Patri. She has a thing for guys whose names end in vowels.

I sure hope Stzatzop clarifies this before one of us starts streaking. Do you suppose the name Stzatzop translates to Ray Stevens?

Continue post For automation system acronymus

deadlock:
try-out:
filter-scrabble: :confused: Is relation signal.

Steve Bailey said:
A floating digital input module displaces a volume of fluid which weighs more than the module. A non-floating digital input module displaces a volume of fluid which weighs less than the module.

Steve,

Based on your definition, I've tested ALL of my digital input cards in current stock.. the results are...None are "floating".. :eek:

BTW..what's the S.G. of the fluid?...maybe I need a denser fluid..like mecury...

Ok..so my guess is that this is a sink/soruce question maybe???

I liked Steve's idea, on the modules ability to tread liquid, which can often happen in some facilities. Specially when "new" plc programers get their first big project, and the wah-wah factor sets in.

"Everyone who can't swim, grab a chandalier". (Boy, I love that OLD joke).

Also, posting in a native language,can be an assett in deciphering some posts.

Tom's mention of "instructor" scares me, think of some of the "NEW" student posts we might be seeing.

Time to stock up on "Resident Smoke" and "Flux Capacitors".

regards all.....casey