PID Theory - Pressure/Flow control

Chris Hasler

I have a PID loop I would like to produce a mathematical model for. I may not have paid enough attention in the Control Systems lectures a few years back, so I am stuck at where to start with it.

The application is a really big syringe where I can control the speed of the plunger, and measure the pressure of the liquid. The liquid contains suspended particles, and is pushed through a mesh. This results in the resistance to flow increasing as the syringe empties.

I want to maintain the pressure at a fixed setpoint, starting from no pressure, to the setpoint, without overshoot, and achieving the setpoint as fast as possible. I then want to maintain the pressure until the syringe reaches a certain position.

Please could someone point me to where to start with working out the equations?