Accessing an Add on instruction

garlantm

Hello,

I am using RSLogix 5000 and would like to access a part of the data that is in the add on instruction that I am using. I would like to do a Copy instruction to pull it out to the main program but I don't understand how to get the data when I try and use copy it wont let me see the tags from the add on instruction.

yeah they are local tags. is there a way to copy them inside the aoi and make them global? When I tried to create a global tag inside the aoi I cant see it in my main routine.

The main idea behind the AOIs is to encasulapte code. That code can interacts with the external logic through the input and output parameters.

I think you have 2 possible choices:

a) Declare more inputs/ouputs for the data you need to read/write, or...
b) Create a routine replicating the internal logic of the AOI.

You dont need to copy anything.
You can simply set the AOI internal tag you need, to be available outside the AOI.

The following must be done Offline and Requires a DOWNLOAD

To do this:
Upload full program from PLC first and save.
In the RSLogix Controller Organizer Tree window, click on the folder "Add-On Instructions"
Expand it out.
RIGHT click on the name of the AOI you are interested in
Select "Properties"
Click on the "Parameters" TAB
This is the list were tags you need to access the AOI need to be.
If the tag you need is here already then thats good.
Simply click on the "USAGE" entry next to the tag and select "InOut" from the dropdown menu.
Next click on the tags "Req" column entry checkbox and set it to checked.
Do the same for the "Vis" column entry.
Click OK out of everything.
Apply any changes the program asks you to confirm.
Save and then download to PLC.

(If the tags you needed to access is not in the "Parameters" tag list then you need to add a new tag (configure it as described above), and they swap this new "accessible" tag for the inaccessible tag you have in your AOI logic.

You dont need to copy anything.
You can simply set the AOI internal tag you need, to be available outside the AOI.

The following must be done Offline and Requires a DOWNLOAD

To do this:
Upload full program from PLC first and save.
In the RSLogix Controller Organizer Tree window, click on the folder "Add-On Instructions"
Expand it out.
RIGHT click on the name of the AOI you are interested in
Select "Properties"
Click on the "Parameters" TAB
This is the list were tags you need to access the AOI need to be.
If the tag you need is here already then thats good.
Simply click on the "USAGE" entry next to the tag and select "InOut" from the dropdown menu.
Next click on the tags "Req" column entry checkbox and set it to checked.
Do the same for the "Vis" column entry.
Click OK out of everything.
Apply any changes the program asks you to confirm.
Save and then download to PLC.

(If the tags you needed to access is not in the "Parameters" tag list then you need to add a new tag (configure it as described above), and they swap this new "accessible" tag for the inaccessible tag you have in your AOI logic.

Perfect all I dd was went into the command tags and changed it to an InOut and that added it to my list that was able to be seen.

Thank you!