Question on Wonderware

Hello All.
I've got a question about wonderware versions.
In our plant, we have WW versions 7.11 and 8 running in various areas.
My question is, if you were to develop new screens and integrate them to an existing AB PLC 5 & DH+. Which of the versions who you use? Would it be naturally the latest version?
Thanks
George

It really depends more on the licenses you have. A 7.11 license will not run an application developed under Ver 8.0. But a 8.0 license will run an application developed under Ver 7.11
So, if you have licenses for 7.11 create the windows in 7.11, then if you have applications that were developed with Ver 8.0 use the Import function and import the windows you created.

I agree with Tark - I wouldn't buy an additional licence to program in the later version (though I think you can typically upgrade for free).

That said, the two big issues in my mind are:

1. Standardization (development!)

You can only develop 7.11 applications in 7.11. You can only develop 8.0 applications in 8.0. (Yes - you can import/convert to the later release (not backwards though), but expect some time to correct anything that doesn't convert well!) So - if you don't standardize on a single platform, you will need to have multiple development licenses available. It sounds like you already have a development license for both platforms, so this is probably not an issue for you.

2. Ongoing hardware support

Earlier versions of Wonderware will not run on newer PC's running 2000 SP4, XP, etc. You will have to check you compatibility matrix, but I would start to be worried about 7.11 about now. (I personally am still using 7.0 in the plant, and I can't install that on my Windows 2000 development system) Yes - you can install older operating systems (assuming you still have the disks) and continue to run the older platform, but I would strongly recommend that new applications be developed with the latest platform that meets "issue 1" acceptably above.

Good luck,

Marc