Hijacked again.

elevmike

Ok so I got my home pagge hijacked again. This time the new home page was "about blank". I also found three applications in add/remove programs that I could not remove. Ad-aware, and spybot and all the anti-virus stuff I tried had no effect. So amid hundreds of pop-ups I finally managed to find a fix for this one. Run it in safe mode.
http://www.malwarebytes.biz/index.php

Just thought I'd post this so you all could stick it in your arsnals.

Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!

Every little bit helps.

I had a lot of hijacking, but since I removed Internet Explorer in an effort to fix it, I haven't had any problems. I can't find the Win98-SE disk (since my daughter borrowed it), or a download online. So I run a newer version (7.1) and an older version (4.7) of Netscape.

I was getting "about blank", usually.

Haven't had any problems with Netscape.

regards.....casey

You should try out mozilla firefox. It uses the same rendering engine as netscape, but it's small and snappy. It's still a preview release, but i've been using it since version 0.4 and i've had nothing but good luck with it.

Mozilla Firefox

You have to navigate a bit, but, HIJACKTHIS.exe just fixed something in 1 minute Ive been trying to fix all week...
goto http://computercops.biz/
and try to find the download for highjackthis.exe Good stuff found at this site related to ur woes.

Last edited:
kc9ih said:
Thanks Mike!

Every little bit helps.

I had a lot of hijacking, but since I removed Internet Explorer in an effort to fix it, I haven't had any problems. ...
Haven't had any problems with Netscape.

regards.....casey

While I SERIOUSLY disagree with MS insisting IE be part of the Operating System, and NOT just an application, and usually use an alternate browser, you need to be very careful about removing IE from a computer.

MS has wormed their way into the hearts of lazy or deadlined programmers everywhere, and the core of IE is used directly by many, many application programs. The Windows native TCP/UDP handling stacks are built on the OS-Integrated IE; if you remove it, you may break applications that require that functionality; especially UDP.

Be forewarned :)

elevmike,you sure it wassomeone or some bot trying to get YOU???unless your doing some work that will be attracting some serious attention,,i would hardly see you as a target,,,but what do i know,,you may be writing some code for the govt and Capt. Jack Flash is circumventing your pro american anti Ruski programs that the CIA has contracted you out to submerse some ideas the Ruski's have in sending top secret information via video games targetting childrenwith top secret sensitive national information,,,

but then again,,thats just the paranoia in me,,

Fred Raud

Mozilla

I am running FireFox myself, it's getting
rave reviews. I am unable to access
MrPLC web site with it.
Does anyone know why?

FireFox is really the best. No activex and able to set when the cookies will expire.

On reason you maybee are not able to get MrPLC could have to do with pluggins... Java perhaps. Go to there site and get them.

firefox.jpg

I will speak softly. Don't want any ghost to ear this

I have never had any bugs in my desktop. Never any virus. Never any hijack of home page.

I don't run any virus protection either.

What I have done is this:

-Firefox as browser
-Zone Alarm on all my PCs
-I run Tren Micro online virus detection once a week
-I have set all my MS apps not to run any macro nor activex controls.
-I run Add-Aware once a month
-I never go to **** site.
-I never download music
-I allways throw any unannounced email with attachments in the garbage.
-The ones I want to look at I send to my Hotmail account before I redownload them to open.
-I have a quadruple boot system (XP,NT Server,Linux,W98) the later is the one which has Kazza !!!

I have Acronis disk image and when I boot to W98 to surf those dangerous places »I just re-install my HD. I takes 30 unattended minutes. So before I hit the sack I start the reconstruction of my W98 disk.

-I cross my fingers all the time.

I do it like this because the signature of all the virus protection is way to heavy for my patience and I also beleive that the origine or them virus can only be them virus protections software firms.

Pluggins

Yes you are right Pierre. I figured that out about 15 min after I posted the message. It's the Macromedia Flash that I was missing.
There should have been a message telling me to do that !

When on the MrPLC site you should have noticed at the top edge of your screen a pale rose coloured bar with an icon and the word pluggins in small caracters.

Thats is you even could see the index page. Then your PC could have frozen.

Some pluggins you just click a link to insdtall them, some you have to get out of the site and go directly to Firefox.

Pierre said:
[-I have a quadruple boot system (XP,NT Server,Linux,W98) the later is the one which has Kazza !!!
I have Acronis disk image and when I boot to W98 to surf those dangerous places »I just re-install my HD. I takes 30 unattended minutes. So before I hit the sack I start the reconstruction of my W98 disk.

A Castle! It only lacks a Firewall, later if wanting a test of the height of the wall... talk

It can explain as it makes backup, e of that way has these systems operational in set?

The triumph that I have is the W95 that it transformsinto the W98, but chosen team the departure register and moving some files, sum one 90s to start PC.