Questions on where to Learn/Find information

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So Friday is my last day at my current job. Though I'm exploring contract work and looking at employment from other companies, I'm also going to use this free time (should have a month or so) to learn a few skills that I have found to hold me back in the Controls/Integrator field.

Skill One:
VBA programming. Will tutorials for excel be enough to teach me the specific syntax I need to use, even though I'm sure Rockwell has added it's own stuff to the api (I think?).

Skill Two:
More in-depth HMI programming. I'm getting decent at doing HMI work in FTView and iFix 2.6, but I'm not quite sure what paths aside from training I can utilize to hone this skill more.

Skill Three:
Learn to use the PLC simulator. What are the names of the software packages and what is required to use the simulator for MLX/SLC platforms and the CLX platforms.

Skill Four:
Learn to draft electrical prints / schematics / plans on my computer for cabinets and control systems. I have access to autocad 2014, 2015, 2016 and SolidWorks electrical through my school (the instructor will let me come in and use the equipment in exchange for practical lessons and lectures as a guest speaker in his class)

Please give me any tips on those skills. They are weak areas I need to become more proficient in to become more efficient in this line of work while I pursue a degree in EE and/or put in my last year towards a Master Electrician's license. I can dedicate 6-10 hours a day on these skills and I'm totally willing.

Skill One:
VBA programming. Will tutorials for excel be enough to teach me the specific syntax I need to use, even though I'm sure Rockwell has added it's own stuff to the api (I think?).

Plenty of options for VBA, I'll directly you to Lynda.com. While I haven't used that site specifically for VBA, I have used it for other skills and found it to be very well done. Sign up for the trial, or your library may already have access, or your school might. I think the membership is worth the cost, especially if you have time to dedicate, it will easily pay for itself as it enhances your skillset.

Skill Two:
More in-depth HMI programming. I'm getting decent at doing HMI work in FTView and iFix 2.6, but I'm not quite sure what paths aside from training I can utilize to hone this skill more.

This is one of those "OJT" things unfortunately. All you can really do is familiarize yourself with the platform abilities and best practices. Probably learn best if you have a "good" scada project that you can reference. However this might not be possible.

I'll point you to Ignition simply because of their free resources. Free online courses at inductiveuniverstiy.com. While Ignition might not be a relevant SCADA package for you right now the fact that they have free online courses for their product, and a full working Virtual Machine loaded with their demo project is a nice reference. I've learned a lot by picking it apart. Be mindful that Ignition can do a lot that others can't do (or can't easily do), so YMMV.

Skill Three:
Learn to use the PLC simulator. What are the names of the software packages and what is required to use the simulator for MLX/SLC platforms and the CLX platforms.

Look for RSEmulate 500/5000

Skill Four:
Learn to draft electrical prints / schematics / plans on my computer for cabinets and control systems. I have access to autocad 2014, 2015, 2016 and SolidWorks electrical through my school (the instructor will let me come in and use the equipment in exchange for practical lessons and lectures as a guest speaker in his class)

Again Lynda.com for autocad tutorials, but ideally you have a good reference drawing set that you can study/modify in addition to the tutorials of how to use autocad.

Please give me any tips on those skills. They are weak areas I need to become more proficient in to become more efficient in this line of work while I pursue a degree in EE and/or put in my last year towards a Master Electrician's license. I can dedicate 6-10 hours a day on these skills and I'm totally willing.

Much of the "specifics" as related to controls engineering is difficult to imagine/create w/o good references. But if you can just get more familiar the tools/philosophies it will only help you. Most of these skills I've learned/enhanced due to working for Systems Integrators. The exposure gave me a reference of what to work on/improve.

Plenty of options for VBA, I'll directly you to Lynda.com. While I haven't used that site specifically for VBA, I have used it for other skills and found it to be very well done. Sign up for the trial, or your library may already have access, or your school might. I think the membership is worth the cost, especially if you have time to dedicate, it will easily pay for itself as it enhances your skillset.

Thanks for that info. Really, what I'm looking for here is to learn the basics of the language, syntax and how it is parsed. I'm pretty familiar with linear programming already, but I'll start here.

This is one of those "OJT" things unfortunately. All you can really do is familiarize yourself with the platform abilities and best practices. Probably learn best if you have a "good" scada project that you can reference. However this might not be possible.

I'll point you to Ignition simply because of their free resources. Free online courses at inductiveuniverstiy.com. While Ignition might not be a relevant SCADA package for you right now the fact that they have free online courses for their product, and a full working Virtual Machine loaded with their demo project is a nice reference. I've learned a lot by picking it apart. Be mindful that Ignition can do a lot that others can't do (or can't easily do), so YMMV.

I'll check into Ignition and I'm wondering about AdvanceHMI. I've been doing all of the PLC and HMI work for a plant for a few years now, and I have been able to spend a LOT of time studying other HMI programs. I guess what I'm really wanting here is kind of vendor specific and I guess would be to spend time familiarizing myself with RSView. Hence the reason I want to learn the emulator.

Look for RSEmulate 500/5000
Will do. I have access to this software thanks to networking and with this, i *should* be able to also practice my HMI skills. I have a few specific things in mind I want to learn with both of these.

Again Lynda.com for autocad tutorials, but ideally you have a good reference drawing set that you can study/modify in addition to the tutorials of how to use autocad.

Looks like I need to check this site out. I'm basically wanting some step-by-step tutorials here to teach me the basics of using the software. Once I learn the basics of the environment I can learn with it. We have some drafting classes at a local school, but they are all 3d modeling oriented.

Much of the "specifics" as related to controls engineering is difficult to imagine/create w/o good references. But if you can just get more familiar the tools/philosophies it will only help you. Most of these skills I've learned/enhanced due to working for Systems Integrators. The exposure gave me a reference of what to work on/improve.

Once again, fortunately I have been able to study a wide variety of code from simple machines, box sortation to wastewater to refrigeration systems and have had the pleasure to modify and work with this code. My current job is going to throw me contract work starting next week, so I'll have more time on my hands for sure. I'm working on getting a setup but I'll still have to aquire the tools and software. Rockwell is the big deal around my area so honing my skills with that particular software set is what I need to concentrate on.

Thank you!