Citect & Ignition differences. Anything Citect can do that Ignigtion can't?

I've been looking at Ignition's platform and am impressed with its capabilities. The company that I've just started working at is using Citect and I'm not very familiar with it and I was given the option to change our HMI package.

My main question is: Is there anything that Citect does/can do that Ignition can not?

i haven't used ignition, but citect, especially for its vintage, has advanced redundancy, scaling and client/server features. The alarm, report, trend, and IO servers can be run on separate computers or cores, it supports failover for redundancy, and if one server couldn't handle the load you could use additional servers to deal with the size if your system. I doubt many people need those features. The client and servers all communicate over TCP/IP, and it feels rather fast and efficient, maybe because it was written when computers were so much slower.

I have worked on a series of 9 plants that have a central control centre which all run citect. Although I feel that I have wasted a lot of time on random citect quirks in my life it is actually impressive how it is able to integrate the HMIs from those 9 plants in to one.

Citect also has a webclient which is just an activeX distribution of the display client but it isn't that different from ignition using java, you go to a web page, download some plugin and then you have a non-web based HMI going.

The citect process analyst is better than the trending tools in wonderware, wonderware historian, and factory talk. I haven't used the PI trending tool and didn't get much exposure to cimplicity either.

Last edited:
I have been looking at Ignition and it is quite impressive. At present I am with Citect and have not had an opportunity to use Ignition on a job yet. Yes, the process analyst is excellent - trends have always been a strength with Citect. The tab style templates in high resolution I find particularly good as well plus machines is also very useful.
There are a few things you have to watch with respect to quirks of course - I think they all have some. Boundaries is one - when using long data use address 0 for example not address 1. Just a few things like that.
The latest version works faster as well - about time.
Not unhappy with Citect at all - just the cost.
They also have direct drivers for virtually everything - OPC is rarely required thankfully - I find it can be quite slow.