Siemens releases TIA v14

rollinstone

Hey guys has anyone tested new TIAv14? From what I've seen requirements are enormous

From siemens website

HDD: 50GB SSD
CPU: i5 3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB - recommended 32

Do they realise that we're mostly working on weaker laptops?

I think the PC requirements are OK.
Who does not have an SSD these days ?
RAM is cheap, but what may be a dealbreaker is that many low-end laptops only support up to 8GB.

Personally, it will be months before I have an opportunity to try out TIA v14.

We don't.
It took us months to get new PC's with i5's and 16GB approved. SSD's are a nono. Mobo used supports only 2 drives and 16GB of RAM.
Not all of us have the luxury to choose our equipment.

These days, a PC without an SSD just isn't worth using. It pays for itself so fast, in man-hours saved. It probably pays for itself just from speeding up boot/hibernate times alone.

It was just released today. I'm downloading it now, to start playing with it. I'm really hoping the team engineering improvements they were advertising help out.

Last edited:
Hey guys has anyone tested new TIAv14?

Not until the sticker on the CPU's say V14 required... I also a few PC's (laptops and desktops) only two have SSD's the rest are old school and I will keep them as long as I can, I need to save my money for retirement :)

Ya great - in theory. High spec laptop to support TIA but automatically comes preloaded with W10 - fine...downgrade it to suit TIA and you can't can't the drivers.

Not a question always of the laptop not supporting the ram, but the OS.
Whilst V14 isn't on the list yet V13 isn't compatible with W10 so what do I do for drivers for my new laptop?

IMHO the high requirement will make people reconsider their choices. If you have a team of say 10 people and you need to re-equip them it is a chunk of money to do so

I have been using SSD and would not consider going to a non SSD drive. a 500GB SSD is not expensive nowadays

Where did you find these requirements, I can't find it..

I agree that the SSD is a must have now, but the rest of the specs seem a bit high.. Running it in a VM should be impossible if these are the real specs.

Funny, my rep told us a few weeks ago that it will run much faster, i guess he meant running it on a monster will be faster :)

edit: found it.. ok, at least those are the recomennded specs. we will se..

Last edited:
Where did you find these requirements, I can't find it..

I agree that the SSD is a must have now, but the rest of the specs seem a bit high.. Running it in a VM should be impossible if these are the real specs.

Funny, my rep told us a few weeks ago that it will run much faster, i guess he meant running it on a monster will be faster :)

edit: found it.. ok, at least those are the recomennded specs. we will se..

I run S7 and flex on VM ware and it runs just fine with reasonable speed - I did install TIA v13 onto a virtual machine and it became really clunky... well I guess it would....it's never going to run faster than the the host machine....

I assume siemens are offering a PG preloaded? If so...is there a spec?

I run S7 and flex on VM ware and it runs just fine with reasonable speed - I did install TIA v13 onto a virtual machine and it became really clunky... well I guess it would....it's never going to run faster than the the host machine....

I assume siemens are offering a PG preloaded? If so...is there a spec?

The newly released pg m5 is basically exactly the minimum and recommended pc requirements. I dunno if a v14 image is available yet, but I assume it will be soon.

Those specs are ridiculous. Given that everyone is running VM's these days, and the VM's have to share resources with the host, it's going to be almost impossible to buy a laptop that can actually meet those specs in a VM.

Maybe that's the idea...sell more PG M5's...

Those specs are ridiculous. Given that everyone is running VM's these days, and the VM's have to share resources with the host, it's going to be almost impossible to buy a laptop that can actually meet those specs in a VM.

Maybe that's the idea...sell more PG M5's...
Typical of Siemens.....
Also -
why is TIA V14 not supported for use with Windows 10 (well until sp1) - windows 10 was released globally on 29 July 2015.
why no support for projects created in older versions of TIA - https://support.industry.siemens.co...arlier-versions-of-tia-portal-?dti=0&lc=en-WW

These specs are ridiculous. Tia portal does not include more functionality which was not possible to achieve with Step 7 and Protool. Version 13 could not even handle 400H plcs.

Granted: the cross reference works great. But this at the cost of a sloppy performance. I personally do not care for these 'fancy' user interfaces with all the side bars consuming all screen leaving just a tiny tiny programming window. After all it is just some ladder and some very simple graphics on little HMI's.