Recommended cabling for brake resistor

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a recommended cable type for braking resistors? I had been using DLO wire but I feel there has to be a better options.

From literature it is recommended to use a twisted pair, screen shielded wire. 90C or higher.

Problem is I need 2 AWG wire for this project.

This project has a 46kW resistor, 60kW 480V PowerFlex drive. So bus voltage is 200 - 815VDC (648VDC nominal, 750VDC to brake)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just waiting to hear back from our wire guy.

Thanks,

E

About 12 years ago I recall buying a special high temp wire for brake resistors. I believe it was a teflon based insulation that looked like a woven cloth.

A quick google search found this site with a picture on the right that looks like what I found.

http://www.daconsystems.com/custom-wire-manufacturing/high-temperature-wire/

The picture on the right looks like what I used. The machinery I was working on had been wired with THHN and it wasn't holding up very well. Not only was the insulation melting near the brake terminals but the connections were losing their integrity. The high dollar wire seemed to solve the problem for us. This was on winding machines that used the brakes quite frequently.