SMEMA Signal Tester

christoffja

Hi all,

I am working on a side project at work to test SMEMA compatibility/communication.

What I want to do is: Create a "SMEMA Test Box" which will be a circuit (simulating a PLC controlled conveyor with 4-PIN SMEMA connection) that can plug in (via SMEMA) either Down Line or Up Line to another SMEMA enabled conveyor.

The most important functions of this test box would be to indicate (Via LED) when a signal is received and, have a push button to send a signal back.

Can anybody help me out with this project? Examples of similar projects, links to "How To:" guides, or even wire diagrams and recommendations are welcome.

Please let me know any questions you may have so I can give a better description of what I am looking to accomplish.

I have searched google and have not been able to find any for sale or find any build guides.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Josh

LadderLogic,

Thank you for the document, it did indeed provide some helpful details.

I'm still trying to determine if I would be able to build a simple circuit ("Test Box") in which when a SMEMA cable is connected to a down line machine, I would receive a signal (not busy/request PCB) from the down line machine illuminating an LED on my "Test Box". With the "Not Busy" signal being indicated, I would then press a button to close the contact and send a signal back to the down line machine.

The details I'm seeking revolve around how to build the circuit and are as follows:

What do I use as a power supply?

How do I obtain the signal being sent via SMEMA cable to my "Test Box"? Is there a way to wire an LED into the circuit to light up when this signal is obtained?

Any additional enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh