RedLion and LabVIEW

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I would like to know if anyone here has interfaced a RedLion HMI with NI-DAQ, and LabVIEW? The tech at RedLion told me "if the LabVIEW speaks a language RedLion can understand". Unfortunately my LabVIEW experience is very limited so I have no idea if it does or not, but figured someone here would probably know. Thanks much.

I've interfaced a Red Lion DataStation Plus with a LabView before. (I don't remember what kind of LabView device it was) I'm guessing that we used Modbus/TCP.

This was a small project a few years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

I don't see a way to talk directly to the DAQ from the HMI. You will have to use LabVIEW to talk to the DAQ, then probably Modbus/TCP between the PC and the HMI. Please explain why you want to have a Red Lion HMI when you really already have one at the PC.

What's the model of the DAQ? on my experience you can just send the signals from your RedLion screen to the I/Os on the DAQ and then read everything on LabVIEW.
Unless you are trying to do it the other way, that is, send signals from the screen THROUGH, and not TO, the DAQ

I don't see a way to talk directly to the DAQ from the HMI. You will have to use LabVIEW to talk to the DAQ, then probably Modbus/TCP between the PC and the HMI. Please explain why you want to have a Red Lion HMI when you really already have one at the PC.

The real question is why we are using LabVIEW, which I can't tell you. It has a PLC already, plus the RedLion Not my call.

Saul, I don't quite follow your explanation. As far as I know, Red Lion does not have a driver to talk directly to NI DAQ devices.

I am aware of this Highland, what I meant is that you could send a physical signal to any of the DAQ Input/Output connectors, and then read that signal on LabVIEW, this is assuming that the RedLion screen has an embebed I/O terminal block.

ceilingwalker can you give us the models of the Red Lion HMI and DAQ?