New to PLC, seeking help

Milchy

Hi, long story short. I've recently ran into a SIMATIC C7-635. It controls some heating equipment.

I can operate it manualy no big deal but... But I've been nicely asked to try (just for the sake of my sanity of doing it manually) and make a "program/script or whatever" which tells it to up the heating automatically in gradual steps every x minutes.

I kinda 'look at poo through a microscope' for a living, so this is totally out of my alley. I've done a quick google and it seems I should be using software called Simatic/WinCC, however. Thats all I know, how would I go about starting with a task like this? I imagine this is the most basic as can be operations, but for someone who has never done something like this, its like im 5 again and turn on the computer for the first time.
Thanks!

Do you have to use C7-635 ?... you may also want to get help on this one

See this link http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=77637

So if you dont have the code for the HMI you may be in trouble and it may be easier to start new

Yes, I have to use C7-635, because... its there. I'm sorry but "code HMI" could you tell me what does that mean in laymans terms. I suppose there is some software that came with it, im not sure, but will find out tommorow.

The C7-635 is a combination PLC(logic)/HMI(graphics). It is possible to upload the existing PLC project (with some annoying restrictions), but you may not be able to upload the HMI project. If you do not have the existing program, then you can't make changes without starting from scratch. You would also need the programming software for both the PLC (Step 7) and the HMI (WinCC flexible). These are not normally free tools, although you might be able to get a trial version if you.

I don't want to discourage you, but what you'll need to do is a big step (and potentially costly for the software) for a beginner. The actual programming isn't difficult for someone who knows what they are doing, but if you don't have anyone to guide you through the basics, it'll be a struggle.

You might want to look for an automation integrator in your area. Assuming you have the projects, they could probably get the task done in the amount of time it takes you to even figure out what you need to do.

I'm sorry but "code HMI" could you tell me what does that mean in laymans terms. I suppose there is some software that came with it, im not sure, but will find out tommorow.

The program in the HMI (Human Machine Interface) was design and wrote by someone, if you do not have that program/code then you are going to have issues... from the link

JesperMP said:
Since you ask about the original program I guess you want to access an existing program but dont have the source code.
For the S7 part of the C7-635 (same as a 314C-2DP) you can upload the program but it will be without comments or symbols.
For the HMI part of the C7-635 (same as an TP170B or OP170B) you cant do anything without the original source, except write a new program.

So if you do not have the program and you plan on using that HMI you will need to write the program again because you can not upload the program... this is more than you want to take on

You might want to look for an automation integrator in your area. Assuming you have the projects, they could probably get the task done in the amount of time it takes you to even figure out what you need to do.

+1

I think the setup is pretty obsolete and information might be hard to track down.

From what you explain, the device to be controlled seems fairly simple. If I were to take this on as a learning project, I would start from scratch.

Get a cheap PLC (controller) and HMI (touch screen or PC based). You will probably want to stick to something that offers cheap (or free) engineering software, since this could very well be your only project (right?).

I hear a lot of good about CLICK PLC's, never used one myself tho.

If you want to stick to Siemens, take a look at the S7 1200 series, they are very reasonably priced, but remember engineering software is pricey.

The looking at poop intrigues me, what do you do? :)