security from PLC

vforristal

[FONT=&quot]How do I write security information (username and password) from an AB compact or control logix PLC to a PanelView Plus?[/FONT]

Is it possible to write the username and password from an AB PLC to a panelview plus? Essentially can you login to the HMI from the PLC? We want to use an RFID reader to read id cards and login into different HMIs.

I can think of a few way to do this, the easiest would probably be "rolling your own" by having the PLC control the screen with global tag. Another way would be leveraging FactoryTalk's ability to integrate with Windows security. So you can use a standard off-the-shelf RFID windows login product.

I have several applications where I used the RFID card reader which sends keyboard strokes via USB to the HMI. In the RFID reader you define a preamble character that triggers a key macro and logs them in. A new system I am putting now, we are trying to interface with the building door entry system and use that database to define what the operator is allowed to do. Then the reader at the machine only has to be part of the existing door entry system.