OT: Weather.... hurricane Matthew

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hope all my friends down south are ok and you got out of the way..., we will be praying for you all

Looks like its going to be a nasty one

I lived in SC as a kid when Hugo hit, and then when Andrew came through (though Andrew didn't hit us, we prepared like crazy because of what Hugo did).

Shortly there after we traded SC for MI, and so far MI has more safe and stable weather. If you don't mind a bit of snow on occasion.

Genius, are you an upstate'r as well?

Most people I know heeded the evacuation order, but obviously not everyone can, hoping for the best.

I was on a startup in savannah this week and left early to drive back to NC wednesday....at that time I26 at Charleston was already bumper to bumper and I95 was stopped for miles approaching I26. So many were heeding the warnings to get out. Watching the track this morning it's not looking good for savannah...hope everyone there stays safe and I'm wondering if I'll have a job to return to monday. Locals told me that David in 79 knocked out power for 3 weeks.

Genius, are you an upstate'r as well?

In the mid state (Saluda) hope to get a little rain, I was deep sea fishing two weeks ago out of Charleston... glad is was not this weekend :)

Mark Snodgrass said:
Ron Beaufort is in Charleston. Here's wishing him luck.

I emailed Ron and he is good... but I am sure he is wanting the prayers and well wishes

Ron Beaufort is in Charleston. Here's wishing him luck.

actually Ron is now 240 miles away in Dunn, NC - safely holed up in a comfortable hotel ... I went through a hurricane back when I was a kid ... never again ... now I run ...

on the other hand, all of my lab equipment is still down in Charleston ... my wife and I spent several hours draping it with plastic sheeting before we left ... my lab is located on the first floor of a five-story building ... I have a constant dread that if any of the windows upstairs get smashed, then water can leak downward through the floors and ruin my gear ...

I emailed Ron and he is good... but I am sure he is wanting the prayers and well wishes

absolutely ... I hope and pray that I have a business to go home to once this is all over ...

thank you to everyone for remembering me - and please be safe ...

Hope everyone on the east cost is safe. I just cant relate being a 3rd generation So Cal resident. But our thought are with you. I feel really sorry for the people in Haiti. They just can get a break down there. Either hurricanes, earth quakes or disease outbreaks.

As the crow flies, I'm about 45 miles inland from Savannah in Bulloch County GA. I've been through a few of these in my life and overnight has been interesting. Lots of rain and wind since about 6 PM on Friday. So far my little weather station shows 8" of rain and wind gusts to 56 MPH.

The whole eastern coast of FL, GA and probably by now SC has widespread power outages. Could take a while to get all the power back on. Generator is the best investment I ever made!

As of 6:54 Saturday, we still have 40 MPH winds and blowing rain. Damage assessment for my place once daylight gets here.

Lots of reports of downed trees and powerlines all over the area. Parts of A1A washed away in the Flagler Beach FL area.

Ron is right about the storms - run away! As a kid I lived on the airbase in Charleston and in Goose Creek next to the Naval Weapons Station. Rode out several storms. Once I got on my own I moved away from hurricanes to a little town named Joplin, MO. Turns out we have other weather issues of our own. I could never dream of helping Ron out with a PLC problem, but I am pretty mean with a mop and broom. If you need help getting cleaned up, post it. I am sure many forum members would lend a hand. God Speed.

home again safe and sound ...

thanks to all of you who offered your thoughts - and especially for your prayers - which God has fully answered ...

my little wife and I just got safely home ... normally this is a four-hour leisurely drive - all 231 miles of interstate ... this time it took more than 10 hours ... I-95 around Fayetteville and Lumberton, NC is totally under water in some places ... reports are that the highway won't be fully opened for at least a week - maybe more ... the rivers still haven't crested and the water is still rising even though the storm is officially over ...

the officials are quick to barricade the route - and wave you off the road and tell you where you CAN'T go - but they're woefully lacking in telling you which way you SHOULD go instead ...

we had to navigate through several axle-deep sections of water on the back roads that we took ... and MANY trees had been blown into the roadway ... most had already been chain-sawn back and dragged onto the shoulder ...

our house came through in really good shape ... haven't checked in on the lab yet ...

had to cancel next week's class - but everybody has been able to reschedule for another date ...

all in all - thankful to be safe - and home ...

thanks again ...

Glad you made it back!. We get different weather up here, mostly straight line winds that can cause huge amounts of damage and basically blow up buildings and rip out trees in the quick bursts.

Fortunately, casualties are light in these events. They come out of no place without warning. Next thing you know is there is a huge mess to clean up. Been there a couple of times. Tree went thru the roof of a neighbors house. His 7 YO daughter was encased by a White Oak that fell thru the roof while in bed for the night. It hit perfect like you see on TV, but guarantee she is not fond of trees.

Rdrast is still MIA, he is somewhere down by Ron

Ron is all the power on down there? for me the power out is the worst thing, you can not do anything without power