Omron Sysmac C20-CPU73-E

ThomasGruetter

Lifetime Supporting Member
The PLC stopped working - likely a failure with in the power circuit (no power light). We have a code printout but one page is missing. How can we retrieve the program? We plan to rewrite the code for a new PLC. See pictures..

20161004_201401.jpg 20161004_130227(0).jpg

Only thing I could suggest is contact someone like PLC Centre and see if they can help by repairing the power circuit.

Another issue is that if the PLC battery is dead and the program is in battery backed RAM it will be gone.

I fail to understand why the PLC has not been replaced well before this. Support and repairs for the C20 must have been discontinued by Omron 20 years ago.

You could be in trouble! Although that old tiger really did not carry very much program - very small memory capacity.

Then you have to have the really old software, serial link unit and a cable - the last time I used one of these was with the old Wamco DOS software - memories!

Thanks for the replies.
The fuse is okay and the battery still has 3.6VDC. I'd hope there's a way to
upload the program, I don't know the procedure as I have never worked on this PLC family. My questions:
How is the program stored ? RAM or EEPROM
What does the yellow sticker mean HL-0-4 ? Firmware?
I will try to repair the power circuit but this is not my forte..
Can the memory chip be transferred to a programmer or another working
PLC unit?

If the memory is RAM (probably) if you remove the chip you will lose the program as there will be no battery to back it up.