Laser Pointer

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to find a laser pointer just like the kind you might use in an office presentation but suitable for mounting on a machine. For instance, instead of battery power I would like something that would run on something standard like 24VDC or 10 or 5 volts.

Does something like this exist?

Thanks,

Norm,

I should think that you would find it hard to find a long-range laser powered by 24VDC... even less so by 5VDC.

I have a battery powered laser (6VDC) that goes about 10-feet before it turns into red-mush.

The 120VAC presented by GUEST sounds reasonable. You must have 120VAC available... somehow... huh? Those usually have the best chance of going for some distance before mushing-out.

Of course, the real issue is the optics.

If you plan on moving the beam from a fixed position (aiming or following) then you'll need some sort of X-Z aimer-frame. That is a whole new game unto its' self.

I ain't no expert on these... just my 2-cents (or less).

Banner (aka Banner Engineering) carries 24V power laser products. They are (relatively) expensive, because they're meant to replace photoeyes. But, an emitter without receiving circuits should be the cheapest of the many options available. It would be bracket mounted and much easier to aim than your standard hand-held laser.

AK

I should think that you would find it hard to find a long-range laser powered by 24VDC... even less so by 5VDC.

Well, I actually don't need more than about 18" so long range is not an issue. Also, funny you should mention the X-Y frame as that is exactly what I will be mounting the thing on. It is an aid to help an operator find specific locations on a part where he must perform a function.

One of our options (and probably what I'll go with) is what akreel suggested: to use the transmitter of a laser photo switch. Since we rep Balluff we'll probably use their laser switch.

It is an aid to help an operator find specific locations

I think that there is a name for this.
I wish I could remember what they call it???
When boards are stuffed by hand a light lights up on the bin where the component is to be taken from, then the board is lit up where the component is to be placed.
I don't think they use lasers though.
I think this evolved into pick & place.

I'm sure there are lots of people still stuffing boards by hand.

Good Luck!

I was just asked to come up with a solution to a problem where employees were parking their work trucks too close to an automatically operated mobile stacker that was tearing the sides off them as it passed by when they weren't looking. (narrow roadway, dark and dusty inside location)
I suggested two lasers mounted on the framework at the outside with the beams running parallel to the travel at about knee level (to avoid hitting someone in the eyeball) would help people know how far they need to park away from the machine.

gbradley said:
I think that there is a name for this.
I wish I could remember what they call it???
When boards are stuffed by hand a light lights up on the bin where the component is to be taken from, then the board is lit up where the component is to be placed.

I believe that is called "pick-to-light".

I don't think that is what he is looking for. I am guessing some type of location for a sticker or a screw placement.

I have investigated this in the past for placement of a sticker.

Here are the results of my search: http://www.worldstartech.com/cross.htm

Akreel,

Not trying to hijack the thread but to answer I don't think we want to shut down or alarm, the stacker only moves about 1'/sec. There is other equipment in the area and two trucks have been raked by the stacker when the operators left the truck in the roadway and came back to find the damage, Just need to delineate the crush zone. Yes people have to be able to work along the path of the stacker, cleanup etc., while it is running. Not having any experience with light curtains, I would assume that the distances and dusty conditions would also make it difficult. What is the longest distance known for a light curtain? Max. distance from stacker to either end of the rail is 1200'.

Sliver said:
Max. distance from stacker to either end of the rail is 1200'.

That would be a REALLY tall order for a light curtain.
I take it that painting the floor was not an option either, or the laser was cheaper. It just seems strange to me that you'd use an invisible beam to mark an area. Whatever works, right?

AK

floor?

I should really take a picture.

The floor is somewhere under about 6" of dust, normally there is dust in the air so the laser should be quite noticable. When a truck drives by the dust kicked up is considerable.

Enough words, a picture is worth a thousand, I will grab the camera and be back soon..